there was this discosoma at WWC...

kes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one a year ago at Aquatic Gallery. They said they weren't selling. Then it was gone. I guess someone offered a price they couldn't refuse.

According to the owner, he said it melted away.
Here's a pic of it few months before it 'disappeared'. The pic quality is poor, as it was taken with my phone with heavy actinic. It obviously looked much better in person.
aquaticgallerymushroom.jpg

Attachments

• aquatic gallery mushroom.jpg
    aquatic gallery mushroom.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long ago was this?

you're saying it was a completely different one than the one you have?

Hey Ian,

As I said, this was only like 2 or 3 Sundays ago that I got an email with a picture of this mushroom from a wholesaler that's been trying to get my business (for the store I work at). I called them the minute I got the email, as I was sitting at the computer at the time, but turns out it was basically just a teaser to get me to call. It had just come in the night before, but someone had already snatched it up and it was not available when the email went out. This was a wild imported mushroom, so it is of different lineage, so to speak, from mine and most of the others in captivity, but it appears to be of the same species, so I wouldn't say entirely different. It has the same colors and same morphology. He said it was about 2" across, and was very expensive; shot me a $150-200 price range. I wouldn't have given a flip about the price, but it wasn't to be. I have no idea where it ended up, but I would guess we might see it pop up on one of the major forums in the future.

I would have to guess that this species is extremely rare in the wild, as they indicated that they haven't gotten anything like this before, and it was the only one to come in with the shipment. They must not be very easy to find, even in the wild, and they don't apparently sit around in huge patches.

As a related note to the above, I really hate how most of the big importers send out these "Cherry Pick" photo emails of all the nice stuff they got in with their shipments, telling you to call, and then none of it is really available to order, but they have "lots of other nice stuff". Doesn't really matter how fast you call, it's all been either cherry picked by jobbers, or set aside by the crew that works there for their best/favorite customers. Don't show me stuff I can't have!

Okay, I'm done...

Last edited:

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is interesting. That looks a lot like the polyp that a guy in Hong Kong has. Up until recently I had been very envious, because his polyp (and that) had purple in it. Mine has orange/gold, red, and green in good proportions. Most of the others I've seen, for some reason, don't have the green (or much of it) and are mainly orange and red. Not sure what affects the different pigments in developing. I wanted purple too. However, just in the last month, the largest mushroom recently developed a splotch of purple on it amidst the red in one area, so now I have all four colors; yay! So far the offspring are developing the three colors, with green coming last for me. I don't know why one set would develop purple and not green and another the opposite, but it would be interesting to see if all four colors can be achieved reliably. It would seem they have the genetic makeup and potential for all four. Once they are developed, changing the conditions doesn't seem to make the pigments go away, so they just have to be brought out somehow.

Just gotta love this crazy 'shroom!

Last edited:

knucklehead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup same thing happend to me! take it down if you dont have it! lol and the funny thing to is that they say they dont let people cherry pick on there website. yeah right!

Hey Ian,

As I said, this was only like 2 or 3 Sundays ago that I got an email with a picture of this mushroom from a wholesaler that's been trying to get my business (for the store I work at). I called them the minute I got the email, as I was sitting at the computer at the time, but turns out it was basically just a teaser to get me to call. It had just come in the night before, but someone had already snatched it up and it was not available when the email went out. This was a wild imported mushroom, so it is of different lineage, so to speak, from mine and most of the others in captivity, but it appears to be of the same species, so I wouldn't say entirely different. It has the same colors and same morphology. He said it was about 2" across, and was very expensive; shot me a $150-200 price range. I wouldn't have given a flip about the price, but it wasn't to be. I have no idea where it ended up, but I would guess we might see it pop up on one of the major forums in the future.

I would have to guess that this species is extremely rare in the wild, as they indicated that they haven't gotten anything like this before, and it was the only one to come in with the shipment. They must not be very easy to find, even in the wild, and they don't apparently sit around in huge patches.

As a related note to the above, I really hate how most of the big importers send out these "Cherry Pick" photo emails of all the nice stuff they got in with their shipments, telling you to call, and then none of it is really available to order, but they have "lots of other nice stuff". Doesn't really matter how fast you call, it's all been either cherry picked by jobbers, or set aside by the crew that works there for their best/favorite customers. Don't show me stuff I can't have!

Okay, I'm done...

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pick up a couple of them they are still small like a dime size but I can't wait for them to grow here's a pic of one of them, sorry for the bad pics, they are at full MH Lighting.

amore377.jpg

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of those mushrooms over two years ago. It was solid orange when I got it. They've split for me and are finally beginning to show some color other than the neon orange. You can see the red spots coming in on the largest mushroom. In person, you can also see green starting. (Sorry for the crappy pics)

The mother was showcased at Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas, CA. It was huge and just like the one pictured on Nanofins' avatar. Neon orange base, red and green stripes.

802716348_aqFpp-L.jpg

802716385_fKT9p-L.jpg

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the funny thing to is that they say they dont let people cherry pick on there website.

They might be tellign the truth, but I still think/know that the people working there will grab the nicest stuff when it comes in and set it aside for their preferred customers. In some ways can't blame them, but it stinks for those of us trying to find a reason to order from them. I found a guy who sends me nice stuff without price raping me, so I've become pretty loyal to him.

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread. Im just wondering if these shrooms are more available today. It has been a few years now & I imagine that they should be more of them floating around now. Also some of you that purchased them a few years back, could you please post updated pics of what I would imagine would be a colony by now.

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread. Im just wondering if these shrooms are more available today. It has been a few years now & I imagine that they should be more of them floating around now. Also some of you that purchased them a few years back, could you please post updated pics of what I would imagine would be a colony by now.

They really aren't any more available today than they were years ago. Like the posts in this thread mentioned they are very slow growers and they can be very finicky to keep.

-Jacob

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally sell my jawbreaker shrooms....just sold two a month or so ago. They are slow growing for sure. Super gorgeous shroom. My mama is FINALLY getting the green coming in after three years, even a hint of purple in the mouth :).

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really aren't any more available today than they were years ago. Like the posts in this thread mentioned they are very slow growers and they can be very finicky to keep.

-Jacob

It seems that they are available, here & there. I have seem some in the for sale section here. Also "nano fins" said in this post that he had his for 3-4 years & has had 5 babies. That was 3 years ago n said he had it for years already. Thats 7+ years that its
been out. Surely , some one out ther has to have a nine colony by now. How about you guys??? You have had yours
For a while now. Do you still it? No colony? How about an updated pic?

I occasionally sell my jawbreaker shrooms....just sold two a month or so ago. They are slow growing for sure. Super gorgeous shroom. My mama is FINALLY getting the green coming in after three years, even a hint of purple in the mouth :).

I'm not ready for one right this minute. But, if you
Have one in the next 3-6 months please let me know. I would love to purchase one.

Or if anyone else wants to put me on their waiting list for one of these bad boys it would be much appreciated!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back