There's always a first time for everything. What get you into the hobby?

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef2reef, my username is SOTO, which also stands for slice of the ocean. Yes I know, its cliché. I am from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. A third world country in Southeast Asia. I love the reef/saltwater aquarium. Like most people, I fell in love with this hobby after watching the symbiosis between clownfish and anemone at my LFS display tank. The view give me a piece of mind and I can watch it for hours! This is how I get into the hobby.

Unlike most people, I never had an aquarium before. Not even into freshwater. The reason I just found out about this hobby now is because the reefing community in Malaysia is very very small. I am 28 years old, and I never knew this hobby existed before. Most LFS here only into freshwater and plant-aquascape. Over here, it is a godsend if you have reef/saltwater-related LFS close to your vicinity, which, believe it or not, I can count with my fingers the number of reef/saltwater shop throughout the country. On top of that, reefing in a third world country means everything is expensive. Really really expensive. Thus, everything is on a budget/DIY to own a reef/saltwater aquarium.

However, all these not gonna make me stay away from the hobby. There's always a first time for everything. And this is just my beginning. Hope everyone here kind enough to guide me in this hobby.

What get you into the hobby?

KLCC.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! It started with playing in streams as a child...

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Started MANY years ago with a simple freshwater tank and then a small saltwater tank to Full line pet store to this hobby in whole

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Soto! I've been to Kuala Lumpur many times, and love the place. It's surprising that reefing is so expensive there. I've dove Indonesia several times, and the marine life is amazing!

You've come to the right place for good advice from friendly people. Glad to have you with us.

OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Can't remember what got me in.
Must have been a long time ago huh!

Started MANY years ago with a simple freshwater tank and then a small saltwater tank to Full line pet store to this hobby in whole
So you made a career out of your hobby? Awesome!

Upgraded my freshwater tank and decided to use the old tank for something different.
Awesome tank Brymac1! Almost the same what I have in mind for my future tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Soto! I've been to Kuala Lumpur many times, and love the place. It's surprising that reefing is so expensive there. I've dove Indonesia several times, and the marine life is amazing!

You've come to the right place for good advice from friendly people. Glad to have you with us.
Nice seeing you here! Hope you enjoyed your stay and come visit again next time. I think the reason low demand of reefing in Malaysia is due to the cost. Not everyone willing to invest in having one and thus prefer freshwater, which is inexpensive and more affordable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really glad you are here! I remember the exact moment I became interested in saltwater tanks as well as in becoming a marine biologist. I was in Boca Raton, Florida standing on a small pier looking down into the clear water and saw a fabulously bright stoplight parrotfish swimming around the pilings picking off food. It was so fantastic. I honestly had never seen such a beautiful thing. And here I am, a marine biologist who, among other things, ran a small public aquarium for a university and have had quite a few tanks over the years. All because I saw that parrotfish and I think that is really cool.

OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really glad you are here! I remember the exact moment I became interested in saltwater tanks as well as in becoming a marine biologist. I was in Boca Raton, Florida standing on a small pier looking down into the clear water and saw a fabulously bright stoplight parrotfish swimming around the pilings picking off food. It was so fantastic. I honestly had never seen such a beautiful thing. And here I am, a marine biologist who, among other things, ran a small public aquarium for a university and have had quite a few tanks over the years. All because I saw that parrotfish and I think that is really cool.
If I was in your place, I also would be hooked after seeing such sight. Nature is amazing, isn't.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community! That's a fascinating story you shared. You will have to post your DIY stuff to the DIY section. :) We can probably learn some things from you! I always wanted a saltwater tank but it seemed quite intimidating so I just kept (and still keep) freshwater tanks. I finally decided to take the plunge about four months ago after spending a couple years on here researching and learning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back