Lance Umansky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi
I've done searches, and I think I'm fine with 1/2 " for a rimless 48x24x22 high. I was at first going to do 24" high, but the calculator here: https://www.livingreefs.com/threads/glass-thickness-calculators.21048/ (xcel file at the bottom) , says with a 3.8 safety value (not sure exactly what that is but it seems standard) that 1/2 " is the absolute thinnest safe. But .43" and thicker is ok for a 22" high.
I seen some go higher thickness for similar height tank. But 1/2" will be fine for my dimensions, right (??????).

Top Shelf Aquatics

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Not a cube... company is Fijicube

This is the tank I spoke of:

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
OP
L

Lance Umansky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It might be rated as safe, but you run the risk of bowing. I had a 48" x 24" tall, 1/2" glass, and it was like putting on someone else's eye glass'. Only way I would do a 48" x 22" or 24" with 1/2" is if it was euro braced.
Yes that would be upsetting to spend all that $ and the time etc just to have that effect on the tank. I'd be really upset. I'm for sure going for 3/4" front back at least.

Avast
OP
L

Lance Umansky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Where (recommended -- I seen some web sites) can I get a rimless like I'm talking about abovec with the 3/4" ? The place I was going to get it from says: "We don’t use 3/4” glass, 1/2” is more than thick enough on this aquarium."
crap
TIA

OP
L

Lance Umansky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Go to Glasscages. They are great!
I just em'd them before I saw this lol. I'm scared of the shipping. The low shipping is what really got me with americanaquariums but he wont do over 1/2 hmph . Im also goign to contact some local places like RAD -- I heard they are $$$$$$$$$$). And some others I googled seem local like magnifecentaquariums .
TIA

AS
BRS

Do you keep "Reef Safe with Caution" fish?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 294 62.4%
  • NO

Votes: 162 34.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.2%