OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colored gravel has to go. Has no buffering capabilities and the dyes will leach as the rocks are clear coated. otherwise looks nice
Well u know I value ur opinion because of the way u cared about my seahorse Stumpy last week the gravel will go soon I just wanna enjoy tank couple days without working on it. I’ve been obsessed from day I decided to go Bigger than what I started with

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it would be nice to see what other seahorse keepers use as far as soft corals, gorgonians sea fans and macro algaes.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats the point - there is no 'buffering capacity' of a bare bottom tank. Some people think the gravel will 'collect waste' - thats potentially true - Will the colors cause a problem - I dont think so - can you siphon out the waste easily - using a python type piece of equipment - yes. Do I like colored gravel (not really) - should that make a difference to you (not Really)

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the point - there is no 'buffering capacity' of a bare bottom tank. Some people think the gravel will 'collect waste' - thats potentially true - Will the colors cause a problem - I dont think so - can you siphon out the waste easily - using a python type piece of equipment - yes. Do I like colored gravel (not really) - should that make a difference to you (not Really)
I will admit the colored pebbles don’t match real living aquas ape so I will change it but most probably put sand or crushed coral over the top of pebbles

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit the colored pebbles don’t match real living aquas ape so I will change it but most probably put sand or crushed coral over the top of pebbles

also like to report had my water tested and person said my water is very nice, he also said my numbers were goodbut didn’t tell me what they were ( said “ you wouldn’t know what I was talking about “ haha lol Mikey. Says numbers good so quick probably because I use all fresh ocean water from far off shore

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people knocked you about the ornaments and such but as long as the sea stable stays stable, you’re all good. IMO, seahorses are harder than coral but I’ve never kept them so can’t say.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people knocked you about the ornaments and such but as long as the sea stable stays stable, you’re all good. IMO, seahorses are harder than coral but I’ve never kept them so can’t say.
Thanks but I really do like the live reef look but never knew anything about it until I stumbled across this website looking at seahorse stuff( I googled seahorse chat) and here we are talking about my reef tank mmmm who knew

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I really do like the live reef look but never knew anything about it until I stumbled across this website looking at seahorse stuff( I googled seahorse chat) and here we are talking about my reef tank mmmm who knew
I guess you should be thankful you didn’t stumble onto another website and ended up here....
D19A2B2B-82E8-4C26-B5BC-461E14897C82.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know a girl that keeps seahorses. She has live sand and coral in her tank, and it's beautiful. Doesn't detract from her babies at all.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must ask why would you put colored gravel in a tank? That paint will come off eventually

He likes it. (and it is very hard painting each piece of gravel one at a time) ;Wideyed

Why not do sand instead?

He doesn't like it. ;Bucktooth

is that to cold to get a colorful system going

No, as you know those seahorses come from New York and New Jersey. I collected water here this week and it was 40 degrees. The seahorses live fine. ;)

Haha no one will ever take me seriously on here again.

No ;Smuggrin

Colored gravel has to go.

I don't personally care if he uses old brake shoes from a 1957 Oldsmobile or cracked Mili Vanili CDs for gravel.
He likes it. Like I like this. Shoot me. :cool:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Equalizer069 can’t you get seahorses from the south (gulf of Mexico) where the water is much warmer? They should be more tolerable to warmer temperatures (78°) than the northern seahorses you have now. Most corals like temperatures between 76-82°. I’m not saying it’s impossible to keep a cold water reef with seahorses. However, most colder water corals are very slow growers because they are found in deep water where they don’t get any sun light. They would also be very sensitive to bright light because they’re not used to it.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t that can start to rust over time and release heavy metals into the tank? Or is that the old school way of dosing? Oooo magnesium is low, add more steel wool honey! ;Hilarious
He likes it. (and it is very hard painting each piece of gravel one at a time) ;Wideyed

No, as you know those seahorses come from New York and New Jersey. I collected water here this week and it was 40 degrees. The seahorses live fine. ;)

No ;Smuggrin

I don't personally care if he uses old brake shoes from a 1957 Oldsmobile or cracked Mili Vanili CDs for gravel.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No ;Smuggrin

But how did the Budweiser can end up in the tank? Must’ve been one wild party Paul B ;Hilarious

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t that can start to rust over time and release heavy metals into the tank?

Budweiser cans are aluminum so they don't rust. You do know how old my tank is don't you?

(I coated that can in acrylic resin, inside and out) :cool:

Must’ve been one wild party Paul B

You have no idea. :p

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back