Thinking about adding another aquarium? Then you should know this...

How many of you have more than ONE saltwater aquarium?

• I have more than one saltwater aquarium

Votes: 382 46.5%
  • Only one, but I am setting up another one now

Votes: 67 8.2%
  • Only one, but I am thinking about adding another

Votes: 111 13.5%
  • Only one and that's enough for now

Votes: 227 27.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 34 4.1%

• Total voters

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask what the motive is and logic? For example I use a second tank as a QT for fish to screen 30 days before adding to my display. I run @Humblefish QT method of 30 days CP >= 2.0ppm - 2.5ppm and the last 10 w/ General Cure. If I could do it all over again, I would buy from Elliott QT fish and use my second tank as a coral QT as event with my Fish QT I introduced fish born illness to my DT via coral.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have 2 Sw tanks. and dreaming of setting up another BIG one + a FW planted am I crazy prob.

here is my thoughts each tank should house different stuff that cant be kept together or like said might as well just get one really big tank and call it a day.
or in a different area of your home. for me my next SW tank will either be a large FOWLR or a seahorse tank.

I would really think about if you have the time and $$ for it. that said you can to it pretty cheap if your willing to get good quality used stuff.
but in the end its still gonna cost you and you need to do a month/yearly budget to see if you can afford it long term.

next spend some time to set it up with ease of maintenance in mind AWC will go along way in keeping your tank happy and healthy.

third give up coffee, drinking beer or smoking and you will have the $$ for your next aquarium project. NO really add it up it might surprise you.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What would you say to someone who is thinking of setting up a second aquarium?

How is your current tank doing? If it is working well then of course you need a new one. If it isn't, get that one running well if you can before setting up a new one. If the current tank is a limiting factor to your success then you have to get a new one. But for goodness sakes, fully plan how the new tank is going to improve your current situation.
2. What is one PRO and one CON to setting up a second saltwater tank?

PRO - More space allows more opportunity for greater success.
CON - More space allows more opportunity for greater failure.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 saltwater and 3 fresh. My tanks are all fairly small (55, 20, 20long fresh, 32cube salt), and I'm pushing the spacing as is. If I had the room I'd add like 10 more, of each. And at least 4 of them would be 300g+.

To someone thinking of getting a 2nd saltwater tank:
Set it up as a quarantine tank for your current one. Once your current tank is fully stocked it'll be ready to be turned into its own display tank, and you'll have a pretty good idea of whether or not you actually want it and where it should go.

Swordsman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up a much smaller tank for things that I can’t have in our current tank. Lower light LPS corals, fish and inverts that won’t mix well with the ones we have now, etc.

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 salt and 1 fresh but I will be downsizing to 1 salt and 1 fresh. The 2 salt were small and the maintenance just got annoying. I couldn't do what i wanted with their size. So i have decided to do 1 large one to take their place and reduce maintenance and allow myself to have the corals and fish i want.

wolfthefallen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one Reef tank.. And One Fresh Water tank..

I have had as many as 5 tanks running at one point, but do to where I moved to I had to downsize.. One day, one day I'll have more setup again.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two. The second one is a nano, LPS dominant, simple set up. My mixed reef was more of a challenge and is slowly moving towards a softy tank with a few LPS and sps. LPS have always fascinated me and is the primary reason for #2. Since #2 has come with its challenges, smaller water volume and more hands on its more maintenance but I am really enjoying it now that growing and got through some challenges with algae and bryopsis and keeping nutrients stable.

CON more maintenance but only added about 1/2 hour a week

Attachments

• A04F303E-4A0A-49F9-812B-DCF30018AFF9.jpeg
    A04F303E-4A0A-49F9-812B-DCF30018AFF9.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 27
  • EF1F6437-0EA8-4A9D-8E80-A810BB151C38.jpeg
    EF1F6437-0EA8-4A9D-8E80-A810BB151C38.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 23

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its a matter of diversity in size, design, stocking etc. Have a 40 cube in the office that keeps getting better with age and neglect, a 180 display in the den which takes all the time and energy, a 15 on the home office desk that is being allowed to find its own way, and setting up a new frag lagoon back in the fish room.
Back when we were having kids, i pointed out to my wife that one kid takes 80% of your time, 2 kids take 100, and so how could 3 kids take more than 100? Finally stopped at 5.
Same for me and tanks i guess.

Doofus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with 8 FW aquariums but that got a little to much for me so now I'm down to 5 I think. 1 55 reef, setting up a second 150 g reef. 1 FO SW, 1 brackish and 1 FW. I would have more but wife says I'm at my max.

s_spowart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks, only one is a reef, the other is an African Cichlid tank. Dont think I could afford to have a second rèef, the electricity costs alone are rather expensive. I suppose I could reduce that by having a fish only tank, which reduces lighting and circulation needs, but I would still need a lot of salt.
Think I would rather get one bigger tank than two smaller ones if both were going to be a reef.

ReeferMadness01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 180 reef setup in the living room and a 75 that’s going to be a fish only in the kids room...once I get rid of the BTAs.

reeferkeeperabq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, water changes are fun again! Haha if your one with little time on your hand throughout the day, a second tank may not be for you.

Attachments

• 20210329_142304.jpg
    20210329_142304.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 19

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take care of my father's 75 and I have my own nano 15. Both are saltwater.

Pros
Each tank is a different work of art (art in progress).
Sometimes you'll get a fish or coral that won't thrive in it's intended tank. In such cases you have another option. Recently we got a new fish for the 75 and he turned out to be too small for the stronger flow. We were able to rehouse him in the 15 and are currently waiting for him to grow out.
Cons
More work. More money. (you have to do twice as many tests ect... you need separate temperature probes... the beauty of a larger system is that you only need to do a single test per parameter, regardless of whether you're running 10, 15, 75, or 190. So you can maintain more water with less effort. Double the systems and you double that effort.)

NVchukar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my first 250 gallon mixed reef tank for almost a year now.... How about an octopus tank now!?!?!?!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had multiple tanks at once before. Most I had going at once was 4 tanks: big reef, predator tank, living room nano, and a frag tank.

Pro: the ability to diversify and keep species in separate tanks that you can't keep together.

Con: the maintenence and added expense

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back