Thinking about adding another aquarium? Then you should know this...

How many of you have more than ONE saltwater aquarium?

• I have more than one saltwater aquarium

Votes: 382 46.5%
  • Only one, but I am setting up another one now

Votes: 67 8.2%
  • Only one, but I am thinking about adding another

Votes: 111 13.5%
  • Only one and that's enough for now

Votes: 227 27.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 34 4.1%

• Total voters

Spinal Compass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 saltwater tanks (1400 gallons). Some have corals and some have anemones but none have both because anemones move around and kill corals. Also, I love angelfish and the large ones are not reef friendly but they don't bother the anemones. If you want to enjoy all the aspects of our hobby then you need to have a variety of options.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today I was thinking about how many of us have more than one saltwater reef aquarium and if it's actually a good idea or not. The thought of a brand new tank, with new equipment and a new "clean slate" does seem quite attractive. More coral, more fish, more fun right? Is it a good idea? Today I want to hear from all of you crazies who have more than one aquarium.

1. What would you say to someone who is thinking of setting up a second aquarium?

2. What is one PRO and one CON to setting up a second saltwater tank?

image via @Coastie Reefer
597F5C4A-13E9-4969-956E-46BA6A09F282.jpg
I would say you have too much time on your hands! I have two tanks but slowly shutting one down. The pro is you can use one as a specialized tank (NPS, sea horse, mantis, etc.) but the Con is definitely maintenance (time). I just don’t have the long term energy to keep two running the way I would like.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise anyone considering a second tank: A) Master your first one. Have a regular maintenance routine and feel comfortable with it. B) Be prepared for twice the work - filling ATOs, scraping glass & testing. C) Have a plan for monitoring both tanks (especially if you travel) D) Budget for or have interchangeable equipment (IE: lighting, pumps, ATOs) so if need be to swap out or test, back up redundancy $$$ are saved.

I have 2 tanks, a 120 & 65. They both run Kessil a360we's, both run ATKs, & both are controlled via 1 apex - life is good...

tanks both.JPG

IMG_7626.jpg

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point in time I had my reef and two freshwater tanks. Even if was a pleasure to look at the 3 tanks it was too much work.
When I had to move to another state I did not set up again the freshwater tanks.

if I ever set up another tank it would be a FO system for a Picasso triggerfish.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pro: it will lead to more tanks.
Con: it will lead to more tanks.

Multiple Tank Syndrome (MTS) is real!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the pro is if it makes you happy and you can afford it, do what makes you happy. It's no different than people who collect cars, guitars or jewelry.
The con is the potential for catastrophic failure. You never heard of a diamond necklace flooding a house. But if anyone knows where I can find a diamond that will replicate and flood my living room in diamonds ... I'm here for it.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on your lifestyle. Two tanks, twice the work. Three tanks, three times the work, etc. If you work a lot, travel or have a busy life, then sticking with one tank and taking good care of it is better than doing a poor job of maintaining multiple ones.

I would also caution people to remember that we're living in a once in a 100 years pandemic, which has changed now we work. It will likely all change again soon. I usually travel at least 75,000 miles a year by plane. In 2020, I've booked exactly zero miles. It's possible we'll travel a lot less and more of us will continue to work from home, but who knows. So, keep that in mind.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tell them any lessons learnt from previous sets up then implicate them on new set up i.e certain makes / models equipment whether cheaper or more expensive then use these ( wait patiently to buy more expensive equipment if you have experience this works better) and not everything that costs more is nessararly better ( alot times you get what you pay ) but sometimes the more simplier thing works better so any equipment that wasnt even needed is a cost unneeded ( i once got told a clever man learns from his own mistakes but a wiser man learns from others mistakes.like if 1000 people tried something and all failed or very few success,then do i have to try this method?
But sometimes we need to try something and fail ( even though we knew success was rare just to actually have that experience.
Would ask them to see if they got a plan in action of holidays ( we put flake/pellet food in miniature zip lock bags for either 7 or 14 days,and ask mrs mum to pop in ours and feed every 2- 3 days) ask mum-inlaw to feed less incase anything bad goes wrong with tank like sick/dead fish as dont want be polluting water even further with food.make sure all plugs are marked and tell her what piece equipment called what and phone if any issues.
Also make sure enough time/money to run extra systems.
And tell them keep frags of each coral in new system if ever one system crashes hopefully other is ok so got spares of all coral

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else only have used aquariums? I follow the k.i.s.s. method and try to keep my cost down. That being said have all the reef tanks you want just don't take over the whole house.
20210426_110254.jpg

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first question would be why? Not why not. If the answer is 'I want more stuff like in my existing tank', then why not get a bigger tank and combine? If the answer is because I want it in a different room, I want this or that which I can't have in my existing.... I always think about the cost of ownership and time involved (time does cost money)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it.

One tank becomes two, then three. Before you know it, it looks like you're running an LFS.

Eag808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 saltwater 1 qt and 1 freshwater and one in storage ( I have a problem) it’s rewarding when everything is going good but can be a bit depressing when one or two of the tanks start to have problems ( fish loss/disease) but it comes with the hobby. Pros are more fish that otherwise wouldn’t be compatible, can move fish around when they either outgrow or become more aggressive in their current tank and having living art throughout your home lol. Cons are your significant other might get a little upset after the second or third one lol

Attachments

• 56DF8F59-5492-4D27-8BC6-2FAB12950C99.jpeg
    56DF8F59-5492-4D27-8BC6-2FAB12950C99.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 2D85C328-C1A6-4C3E-9A79-05BDE878BB2B.jpeg
    2D85C328-C1A6-4C3E-9A79-05BDE878BB2B.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 34
  • F72A7447-D3F3-4BB0-8B9E-37DC63A1F9E1.jpeg
    F72A7447-D3F3-4BB0-8B9E-37DC63A1F9E1.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 656CB54E-7D0F-4755-BC9F-06E4AA833E1E.jpeg
    656CB54E-7D0F-4755-BC9F-06E4AA833E1E.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 31

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 at the moment. A 110g DT, a 20g qt, and a 45g fully established observation tank aka halfway home between qt and DT. Highly recommend having all 3 if you’re still adding fish, inverts or corals to DT. Once done stocking your tank, the observation tank is a great bonus second tank and the qt is good to have floating around in case of disease. Honestly, I don’t know how ppl do w just 1 but that’s just me :)

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was thinking about how many of us have more than one saltwater reef aquarium and if it's actually a good idea or not. The thought of a brand new tank, with new equipment and a new "clean slate" does seem quite attractive. More coral, more fish, more fun right? Is it a good idea? Today I want to hear from all of you crazies who have more than one aquarium.

1. What would you say to someone who is thinking of setting up a second aquarium?

image via @Coastie Reefer
597F5C4A-13E9-4969-956E-46BA6A09F282.jpg
1. I have two tanks up at the moment, but if someone was thinking about setting up a second tank the advice I would immediately give them is go for the tank YOU WANT! Chase after the concept/style you truly want whatever it may be. Don't sell yourself short you know the commitment these tanks take!

2. PRO: More space and who doesnt want another tank.
CON: More maintenance in the long run!

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently only have one empty tank, need to decorate the room before we can set it up, it will then be our first marine aquarium (and my first aquarium of any kind).

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is your intent for the second tank? How will it be different from your first tank?

Pro: Additional room for more variety and one can also use this second tank as a backup in case they have livestock that hasn’t adjusted well to the first tank.

Con: More money (this hobby is not cheap), more upkeep (this hobby takes a lot of time).

Personally, I plan on adding another tank to the house later this year. Considering a nano planted FW tank - blasphemous on R2R, I know.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back