Thinking about adding another aquarium? Then you should know this...

How many of you have more than ONE saltwater aquarium?

• I have more than one saltwater aquarium

Votes: 382 46.5%
  • Only one, but I am setting up another one now

Votes: 67 8.2%
  • Only one, but I am thinking about adding another

Votes: 111 13.5%
  • Only one and that's enough for now

Votes: 227 27.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 34 4.1%

• Total voters

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an established tank that I did not start, just fixed. Now I am starting my own, and have a thread on new tanks. I have everything I need, but the skimmer is not in the tank. I am waiting for the cycle to complete.
I am enjoying the experience, and learning curve seeing how things effect the tank

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do folks look at coral and invert QT and fish hospital|QT tanks in addition to their DT?

To me this is already two additional tanks I need to care for outside of my DT. The invert/coral QT requires less work than a DT, but a fair amount, the fish qt requires very little when not in use.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see where you ask what you would say to someone starting a tank. Research, research, Research, Slow Slow Slow

gearhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in a 75gallon had for three years then set up red sea 750xxl thought I would keep the 75 gallon but once I started dealing with both I took down the 75 gallons. the rea sea is on automatic everything two 100 gallon storage tanks in the basement. one fresh one salt for auto top off and auto water changes. the only thing I wish I would have done differently is a basement sump. like people have said the second one will get neglected.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 aquariums. 200 gallon a 250 gallon and a thirty gallon all set up. Oh yeah I have a backup 55vgallon that's empty. 1vthing to note lots and lots of salt and 1 tank is always lacking a little due to running a business and trying to keep up with maintenance is a painfully pain staking process. You have to be 200 percent dedicated.

gearhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in a 75gallon had for three years then set up red sea 750xxl thought I would keep the 75 gallon but once I started dealing with both I took down the 75 gallons. the rea sea is on automatic everything two 100 gallon storage tanks in the basement. one fresh one salt for auto top off and auto water changes. the only thing I wish I would have done differently is a basement sump. like people have said the second one will get neglected.

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently 1 reef tank and 1 fresh water planted, used to have 4 saltwater tanks, before sandy wiped out my lower level

Cmccarthy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240 reef, 220 FOWLR, 180 reef to be (setting it up) and then a 40 gallon quarantine tank. Then I have some freshwater tanks. A 75 and two 50 gallon tanks. Half of my basement is a fish room and I love it. If I win the lotto I am building a warehouse so I can have more tanks. Haha. Obsessed

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two a 90 and a 55. The 55 was turned into a reef this year. The 90 been up since 2014 the 55 up since 2016
20210425_183720.jpg

20210425_183840.jpg

I have a third thats not mine but I'm in charge of is a 40 breeder. Been up since March 2021.
20210426_073831.jpg

Have what you are willing to take care. Keep the second stupid simple. If you make it too much you will let it go a little from time to time.

Pro cons. Cons More work more expense.
Pro different corals and fish inverts and such.
Hi - is that like a huge green Nepthea Tree in first picture on left side of tank? That thing is awesome!!

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically I only have one system... but there are basically two displays connected to it. One of them is in the fish room so it doesn't really count, does it? :0)

SaltCreepReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150G mixed reef, 54G SPS tank, 3 24G frag tanks, 2 35G frag tanks, a 180G SPS tank, and a 135G sump. Also a 3G beta tank, a 70G turtle tank, a crested gecko, 2 australian shepherds, and a 1 and 3 year old...and a bad car habbit.

my recommendation is to get enough tanks to keep the animals and corals you want, and then stop. It gets extremely time consuming and expensive to keep expanding.

ArtsyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up grading to a 125 from a 57; in the process now. When it's time for everything from the small tank to transfer to the larger, the small tank will go. However, I will always have a 10 gallon QT up and running.

BlueReefer73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No saltwater tanks for me but I have one freshwater and when I get rid of a bookcase I'll be getting a 20 gallon long. Split it for two bettas and see if I can find a divider that Kuhli loaches can fit through but the bettas can't. After that I will be done.
Given the similar sizes of the fish I’d be interested to see if you can find a solution for this.

djstud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 Gallon Reef and a 16 Gallon Saltwater (that will probably be getting some corals). I have a 240 Gallon South American Cichlid Tank. I have 4 other Freshwater Aquariums in my fish room. I also have 3 Quarantine Tanks (2 saltwater and 1 freshwater).

Gonzomark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was thinking about how many of us have more than one saltwater reef aquarium and if it's actually a good idea or not. The thought of a brand new tank, with new equipment and a new "clean slate" does seem quite attractive. More coral, more fish, more fun right? Is it a good idea? Today I want to hear from all of you crazies who have more than one aquarium.

1. What would you say to someone who is thinking of setting up a second aquarium?

2. What is one PRO and one CON to setting up a second saltwater tank?

image via @Coastie Reefer
597F5C4A-13E9-4969-956E-46BA6A09F282.jpg
PROS:
You already know the drill (cycling, doing readings, best equipment to use, etc.); you are more likely to do water in bulk; forces you to have ready supplies (salt, chemicals, dips, etc.); I found it handy when you have critters that start to not get along and can transfer them to another ready tank; lets you display multiple habitats-- I have my 35 gallon set up in our main living room with a wider variety of smaller critters, while my 100 gallon is in the lower den closer to my water supply and hosts my tangs and (soon to me more bigger fishies)

CON:
double the testing and water changes; more care when you go out of town for even a few days; need to accommodate difference setups (unless you're lucky and can set up multiple tanks side-by-side and near your water supply); and need I say cost?

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same, do you feel that you like fresh or salt more?

Tough question and likely depends on when you ask and whether I'm having issues with my reef tank at that moment :) I like the added complexity/challenge of a reef, but I like the cost of equipment/fish/upkeep for freshwater.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back