Thinking about adding new tank with live rock

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating adding a 25 lagoon to my existing 75 gallon system using live rock as I want a type of LPS lagoon concept with some macros and other things as well to help with biodiversity in addition to my (hopefully soon) sps system (the 75) that has been struggling with the usual barebottom dry rock problems from being too sterile.

Good idea? Bad idea?
Tips?

I'd throw the live rock in my sump but it's just too small to throw a lot of rock in there and the die off from anything photosynthetic concerns me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That’s a plan and like myself, if you’re thinking about it, you’re likely going to do it- just a matter of getting the credit card out.
This is the only hobby I know where we can spend $400 in a flash and go home in a real good mood

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be no die off just move it over from an existing tank into a new one, and skip the cycle. Plumb it in gtg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a 75 gallon and plumbing a 25 gallon that is using live rock from kp tropicals to the 75 gallons sump
Ah okay. Imo it sounds like a great idea, though when you say you worry about photosynthetic things dying off, would you not have a light since you're planning for macroalgae?

It should be no harder than a typical sump, the only thing I would generally think of is for there to be some sort of mechanical filtration prior to the return pump if you don't want things from the refugium to be sucked up into the 75 gallon.

OP
OP
Tyler White

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay. Imo it sounds like a great idea, though when you say you worry about photosynthetic things dying off, would you not have a light since you're planning for macroalgae?

It should be no harder than a typical sump, the only thing I would generally think of is for there to be some sort of mechanical filtration prior to the return pump if you don't want things from the refugium to be sucked up into the 75 gallon.
Photosynthetic meaning anything that might have died off in shipping plus no light down in my sump.

I'm going to try to see if there will be a way to run a 3rd return line into my existing mechanical filtration area with a bulkhead or something from the new tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed shipped rock cures out, thought you might be sourcing from a lfs.

some brands may not require curing, some do per website

OP
OP
Tyler White

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest concern is probably going to be any pests that come along.
Any real way to eliminate them or am I looking at a pest management future?

I have a sixline I can move over and peppermint shrimp that I can buy. Any more pest eaters that are smaller?

OP
OP
Tyler White

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed shipped rock cures out, thought you might be sourcing from a lfs.

some brands may not require curing, some do per website

I have 2 lfs. The better of the two doesn't carry any live rock and the other I know for a fact that I will get aptasia from lol

I'd rather roll the dice with the ocean if that tells you anything

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back