Thinking about modding a Mini-Max Reactor

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I'm thinking about modding my Innovative Marine Mini-max nano reactor. Before I get in to what I want to do, let me explain my issue with it first:

The minimax reactor is supposed to be designed to fit seamlessly with the IM line of AIO aquariums and for the most part, it does this well. My issue with it is that it sits 6 inches above the water line in my accessory chamber in the back of the tank. This leads to it making a lot of gurgling and splashing noises constantly since it pushes water from the bottom of the media section to the top where it outflows from some holes and back down to the exit ports which are at the bottom of the unit.

Also since it sits so high, it provides a place for algae to buildup and grow in the two different clear acrylic tubes from interacting with light overflow. To solve this issue I just slid over a coozie I got from a saltwateraquartium.com order which has worked very well.

What I want to do is effectively cut the unit in half and make it so that the water outflow occurs right at the water line. I'd have to preserve the top portion of the media tube since it has been designed a certain way for the lid of the unit or I could get crafty and make my own outflow holes in it.

I wanted to get your thoughts on the matter and see if it would be a feasible solution to my problem. I only ever had it 1/4 of the way filled with carbon anyways so the reduced space won't make an impact on my media usage. It will however make an impact on how many times I need to go to the bathroom when I'm doing something in my apartment! :rolleyes:

20170913_173404a.jpg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumb question: Thought about trying to trade with someone for the minimax desktop version, since you have the larger one meant for the 30 / 40 or even 60+ SR series?

jjwukasch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing? I have thought of doing the same thing to reduce the distance wayer has to fall back but i am afraid I might crack it.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing? I have thought of doing the same thing to reduce the distance wayer has to fall back but i am afraid I might crack it.
Well, I ended up not doing the mod that I had planned on doing. Instead I quit using it altogether. I figured out a system and maintenance schedule that provided the same benefit as the reactor.

I still have it though, and I have been considering revisiting this idea and seeing how it works.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back