Thinking about opening up fish store on Long Island New York

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just came across another thread "LFS long island" from oct 19...i've been off the island for almost 10 yrs and of all the stores in that thread country critters is the only one i recognized...pets warehouse evidently moved into the old aquarium adventure store in carle place...so just to emphasize my point about stuff coming and going

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s important to figure out what you want your niche to be. All of the most successful fish stores have a niche and it tends to be driven towards coral. The LFS I worked at didn’t make a ton of money on fish after factoring in the cost of food and fish that died. Coral is the biggest source of profit.

When it comes to wholesalers you should shop around to find one that won’t force you to start by purchasing a bunch of “ugly” coral. It also doesn’t hurt to buy frags from local at retail prices and grow them out.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just came across another thread "LFS long island" from oct 19...i've been off the island for almost 10 yrs and of all the stores in that thread country critters is the only one i recognized...pets warehouse evidently moved into the old aquarium adventure store in carle place...so just to emphasize my point about stuff coming and going
Aquahut and Country critters are both older, Critters has good aquatics still, but has bad care of their other stuff. Aqua-hut apparently has gone downhill.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@frizzayyyyreef I've been conflicted by the same idea I would say before you do that start outta your house outta you garage basement attaic or spare room and see how it goes from there

Next form llc dba,get retail sales tax paperwork, business bank account usually costs around 1400$ off a decent lawyer

Next I would recommend starting with a large display(75 to 300) to start out with, this can be your mother tank in which all aquacultured pieces are held no wild

Eventually purchase or build a large frag tank usually botanicare or hydrofarm 115s work the best as they're optimum depth at 13 in deep 31 in wide and 82 long, you then move all your aquacultured coral to this tub once you've outgrown mother tank
And frag up original colonies
This is your grow out

Later down the line to save your money outta pocket you'll wanna utilize your llc to get 50% at wholesalers or tranship

When you do this you'll likely need 2 more tanks I would reccomend 2 50g lowboys 1 for observation at, the other for wild and maricultured piece

Keeping wild and maricultured separate from aquacultured

Eventually aquaculturing you own pieces sustainably

Realistically to start out I would say look on fb marketplace and cl for a large tank, then order 2 50g lowboys or 2x4 flood tables then order a 115g flood table have all seperate sumps

Then tranship coral if u dont have an llc

Buy a box of mushies zoas and acro off livestock usa

Buy clowns off coralreeftn

Buy Caribbean inverts

These will be the most profit to start out

Along with lower end softies

I wanted to open a business but talked myself out of it if u have a garage or basement u can have a fish store at home without the obligation of rent and further financial burden,

Only extra water and electric

But basically long story short long island is a good area for salt, I'm in ne ohio so most people are freshwater here these are demographics u gotta look for

Offer competitive prices locally an online,

Guaranteed tho a small farm with 4 tanks can produce

Just my 2 cents

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then form a strong presence locally sell online,go to other fish stores,know wholesalers in are if any, basically get to know the scene

Get a good camera and get good at taking pics

Have a strong presence on social media

Advertise locally through college radio or news, advertise online

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Involve your self locally
If you have kids use it to your advantage become a outstanding member of the community by coaching or sponsoring sports teams, do fundraisers that support local charities but donate under you business, practice philanthropy, donate your time an volunteer at parks, etc pick up trash

This will convey a message to the public that you are a strong leader and that your business was founded on ironclad morals

If you have a local fish club join that

Get good with acrylic and start making aquariums

Offer water testing

Get a van offer aquarium moves, renovations, disposal, service, and maintenance as well as plumbing

Alot of overhead can be made but I would say dont give up your day job unless you plan on selling online or foing freshwater to and having a crazy selection and prices

I believe the era of online shopping has killed mom and pops(brick and mortar) style stores

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do y’all think?im seriously considering it as I have a store front already....do you think it’s a good living ? Anyone who owns a store on here!?
where would it be? eastern side of the island doesn't have any, middle island has a few and the western side has a few

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have worked in LFS and did aquarium maintenance and installations for enough years to know it’s hard work and you can make a decent living. You have to really be committed to it to make it work and will to put in long hours.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a passion for it then do it! We are in Long Island as well and actually in the middle of building out our storefront.
It takes a lot of capital to get started so be prepared.
Where will you guys be located? Always interested in checking out and supporting a new LFS

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do y’all think?im seriously considering it as I have a store front already....do you think it’s a good living ? Anyone who owns a store on here!?
I'd say take a tour of all of the local fish/coral stores on long Island then make a determination if it looks like they are all doing well.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquahut and Country critters are both older, Critters has good aquatics still, but has bad care of their other stuff. Aqua-hut apparently has gone downhill.
Most places are mid island or towards the city because they are more populated areas and easier to get to from the city or out of state even (CT, NJ,etc). Island fish and scale, advanced marine aquatics, new york reef aquatics, tropical island aquariums are all great places to check out, each kind of specializes in their own things though.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most places are mid island or towards the city because they are more populated areas and easier to get to from the city or out of state even (CT, NJ,etc). Island fish and scale, advanced marine aquatics, new york reef aquatics, tropical island aquariums are all great places to check out, each kind of specializes in their own things though.
I usually go pro reef aquatics

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back