Thinking about putting a metal halide over my bio cube.

Desert.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 22, 2014
Messages
56
Reaction score
7
Location
Glendale
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think this would work out decently?

Standard 29 gallon Biocube. I would have to remove the lid.

This is the 250watt 20k light I would put over it.

c14b50b52671b3cc12e3e0ce5cb72272.jpg


Thoughts, suggestions?
 
I don't know anything about the light.

BUT - I removed the lid from the biocube and it was awesome. Really sleek look. I left the trim on, though. I'm not quite adventurous enough to start ripping that off. Keeping the tank cool was much easier with the top off...and I cut a pretty effective top out of a sheet of egg crate. I used 1/4in netting to keep fish in....but all in all I was glad I took the lid off.

I put a Radion x30 on mine and it blew me away. I only had it on 30%, though. I just moved the light and put the factory top back on and man - the difference in light is crazy. When I set up the radion I wasn't sure if it was really that different - but now that I'm seeing the factory lights on there....
 
I would totally cut the lid if I could to put a Chinese box on it. But I already have the halide and I know it works good
 
Im sure you know it needs a different bulb. I put a 150w over my 30 a couple weeks ago. its great.
@20in above the tank I get 0 temp change in the tank and getting about 10 to 14,000 lux.
BTW I found a bunch of 250 & 400w MH in the $5 clearance bins at a couple LFS recently.
 
In my OP, I stated I purchased a 20k deep blue light bulb for the halide
 
In my OP, I stated I purchased a 20k deep blue light bulb for the halide
Oh ,Thats a good bulb. I dont see it in the op.

Had a 150w MH over my cube for a while. Only negative was that I struggled to keep my tank under 80F.
How high over the tank was it? Right now im not getting any Changes. Still in acclimation and want to lower it.
 
I'm thinking of being 12" off the top of the tank
 
c39092f694503f2034fe4c178d296a1a.jpg



Temporary obviously but I'm going to need to build a stand to house the light
 
Nice. I highly suggest a lux meter if you don't have a par meter. There are apps for the phone and tablet. Above 60 to 80,000 you'll have problems.
 
Why not put a small led unit? Radion xr15, hydra 26, kessil? They are much smaller and less heat. Plus they look sleek.
If you want a radion xr15 PM me.
 
In the long run, you will not be happy with the halide. You will be happy with with the amount of light in the beginning but here are the things that will bother you:
- tank will run hot and you will struggle to bring temp down as already mentioned
- you will not be able to keep some corals, which do not require as much PAR. All LED and T5 fixtures are dimmable and can be amped up and down as needed
- you do not have space for actinics and as such the will not enjoy the visuals as much. The whole day simulation in good fixtures (radions/AI hydras...) are just phenomenal and enjoying. Is that not the reason why we keep the tanks.
- when the corals are not doing well, you will keep guessing -is it time to change the bulb!!!
- access to the tank is blocked and covered

I would suggest T5 or LED fixture.

Sam
 
I used to have the nano cube with the halide built into the lid. I retro fitted the nano customs actinic bulbs into it. Great growth for me always. Just lots of evaporation since I had a fan running almost all the time on the back chamber
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new