Thinking of Adding a new Tang to my tank

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m ready to add another fish to my tank. Looking a either a purple tank or brown Tang from TSM.

Current stock
2 Chromis
Six line wrasse
Tomini Tank

The Wrasse and Tank are juveniles. I do have an acclimation box if needed.

Anyone see any issues with either Tang coming into my tank.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species do you mean when referring to brown tang i assume an acanthurus species but possible a scopas. In that shape of a tank im not sure id recommended one of those species (assuming its the cylinder tank in your build thread). As its quite a small footprint for the tangs.

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species do you mean when referring to brown tang i assume an acanthurus species but possible a scopas. In that shape of a tank im not sure id recommended one of those species (assuming its the cylinder tank in your build thread). As its quite a small footprint for the tangs.

I meant the Powder brown. 30” diameter and 36” high is too small?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea sorry, 36" high is great but its the width, they need quite a lot of room to swim and form their territories, recommended at 5 or 6 feet ,you can try it though but im not sure how happy the fish will be

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30in diameter tank is small for a tang, they appreciate straight line swimming distance as they swim miles a day over the reef in search of algae in the wild. 6ft tanks are recommended for purples and powder browns, and 4ft is recommended for the tomini you already have. minimum sizing is not so much about volume as it is footprint.

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30in diameter tank is small for a tang, they appreciate straight line swimming distance as they swim miles a day over the reef in search of algae in the wild. 6ft tanks are recommended for purples and powder browns, and 4ft is recommended for the tomini you already have. minimum sizing is not so much about volume as it is footprint.
Thanks for the info. Maybe I shouldn’t have gotten the Tomini? Why do all these fish places rate fish by volume? Seems they should be a little concerned about tank dimensions. Then again most people don’t have a cylinder reef tank:)

For now he seems fine but is small. Just cruses in and out of caves picking at rocks and the glass constantly.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back