Thinking of ditching gfo for pellets

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And do what instead?

Not sure what type of coral the op intends on keeping but if it were me I'd invest in a good skimmer, a very good rodi unit and a quality tds meter and please don't make me dig up my "back in the day" gfo diatribe lol!!

But I will if you want me to;)

jayhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what type of coral the op intends on keeping but if it were me I'd invest in a good skimmer, a very good rodi unit and a quality tds meter and please don't make me dig up my "back in the day" gfo diatribe lol!!

But I will if you want me to;)

Come on Adam. Do tell. The forum appreciates a seasoned perspective!

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swc skimmer, air water and ice ro/di/, two tds meters. One inline with ro unit, one handheld.
Mixed reef, lps and sps.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Swc skimmer, air water and ice ro/di/, two tds meters. One inline with ro unit, one handheld.
Mixed reef, lps and sps.

Ok great not too familiar with swc's so I'll have to assume it's up to snuff. I have only two questions then. At What tds do you change your di and why exactly do you feel that you need to run pellets or gfo

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for myself i onky am running them til i get rid of the devil algae j have gotten off a frag from a frag swap otherwuse i agree with adam

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know for myself i onky am running them til i get rid of the devil algae j have gotten off a frag from a frag swap otherwuse i agree with adam

Hey buddy. hope all is well:) just curious about your post. is this some algae that was on a plug and spread throughout your system then or just a random patch on a plug? I am still way more reliant on a few snails and/or hermits to clean up my rocks than anything else. just a thought.

JAyhawk I found it. the rant that is lol. if the op want to hear it ill post it.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its some nasty hair algae newer rock so phos is coming out of some rock in places. I had great success in tge past runnin pellers til it was gone then slowly weaning them back til i didnt use them again. Its already slowly dieing off. Few friends had it and dosed lanthum chloride to get phos down enough to kil it off

DogueDeBordeaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy. hope all is well:) just curious about your post. is this some algae that was on a plug and spread throughout your system then or just a random patch on a plug? I am still way more reliant on a few snails and/or hermits to clean up my rocks than anything else. just a thought.

JAyhawk I found it. the rant that is lol. if the op want to hear it ill post it.

post away

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great not too familiar with swc's so I'll have to assume it's up to snuff. I have only two questions then. At What tds do you change your di and why exactly do you feel that you need to run pellets or gfo
Swc is now reef octopus? Here is a picture, don't mind the wires...this picture from when I re-setup tank after move.
Swc is now reef octopus? Here is a picture, don't mind the wires...this picture from when I re-setup tank after move.

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1410183783917.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change all filters in ro/di when tds reads 1-2
Sometimes I change prefilter in between as it gets nasty before di and carbon filters are expended

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some algaes can survive with very little phosohates in the water even no reading an hannah and salifert because rocks leaching phos causes algae to grow

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was set up for almost 15 years before I had an ice storm kill power for over two weeks. Long story short lost a lot of livestock between trying to run one mh and power head at a time through out the day. Let it go with survivors and then came the move. I sold or gave away all corals that were left and transferred tank. Now I am essentially a year later now after re setting up battling po4 and algae. I work all week over 70 hours so husbandry is mostly feeding checking to make sure everything is ok then skimmer cleaning wc happens on weekends. I can't keep up with the gfo reactor throughout the week so I was considering using all in one bio pellets or the such. Actually have had the reactor offline for two weeks and modded the reactor already and it's up and running. It goes like this. Pump to reactor to skimmer. Directly into skimmer as my external skimmer requirs being fed from sump. Only time will tell if it helps my nitrates and po4. If in three months I don't see progress I'm going to either build an algae scrubber or start dosing lc

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of my friends have great success with lc im also using same steps as you with the aio biopellets nd a recirculating reactor

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back