Thinking of ditching gfo for pellets

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not known what exactly works in Tech M, but I really don't think it is the magnesium itself. Other brands do not work, or not nearly as well.

That is hard to explain except by the hypothesis that it is an impurity in the Tech M and not the magnesium itself that causes the effect.

But it is certainly not proven that it is an impurity.

OTOH, I only would use Tech M for this purpose, and not other brands of magneisum supplement.

Kennyb1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well high levels of magnesium greater than 2000 have been proven to work. Regardless of brand. Not 100 percent of the time but the information's out there.

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like above 1500-1700 over a two-four week period is the average. Will having mg that high have ill effects on livestock? Pod population inverts in general coral and fish?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well high levels of magnesium greater than 2000 have been proven to work. Regardless of brand. Not 100 percent of the time but the information's out there.

Where have you seen that? Even if true, that seems to support the impurity hypothesis if it takes more of other brands to attain the same result.

I don't recall seeing many folks intentionally add magnesium to above 2000 ppm, and if they did, maybe even the brands that don't work at lower levels (where Tech M works) have sufficient impurity to work when dosed exceptionally high. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like above 1500-1700 over a two-four week period is the average. Will having mg that high have ill effects on livestock? Pod population inverts in general coral and fish?

Most people do not see problems. I've read of sluggish snails, but they seem to come back OK later.

You might need to hit 1800 ppm. IMO, if it is an impurity, it matters where you start. So going from 1250 to 1600 is the same as going from 1400 to 1750 ppm. :)

Last edited:

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres forms of hair algae that arent byprosis but have very similar characteristics like derbesia. Only succesful things ive heard are are lc and biopellets for thos

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back