OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some algaes can survive with very little phosohates in the water even no reading an hannah and salifert because rocks leaching phos causes algae to grow
And I think this is one of my biggest problems as I have such a low bio load don't over feed, no food I'd un eaten and equipment is over rated for tank. Skimmer rated to 300+ gallon system I have great flow in dt. Huge cuc. I've never had this problem in the past so I'm going with what I have and slowly learning how to get it under control.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same thing happening as well. Never an issue before now it is. We live and learn. I also slowed down my dc return pump

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, there are many ways to reduce nutrients in reef aquaria, but as mentioned, lowering nutrients is not always the answer when certain problem algae arise.

in some of those cases, biological control means (such as fish) can be a better option.

Lonelyreef, what nutrient export methods do you currently use aside from the GFO that you might switch to pellets?

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hate to get a lawnmower blenny just for it to run out of food but another good point noted

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy. hope all is well:) just curious about your post. is this some algae that was on a plug and spread throughout your system then or just a random patch on a plug? I am still way more reliant on a few snails and/or hermits to clean up my rocks than anything else. just a thought.

JAyhawk I found it. the rant that is lol. if the op want to hear it ill post it.
Sure love a good rant on Monday

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree but if you read aqua nerd they are actually using a phosphate chemical in pellets which is why they are heavier and have a different color than the originals. Most people myself included believe this is gfo binded to the nitrate media as the nitrate resucing media is consumed very small amounts of the gfo comes off which has consumed phosphates and is skimmed out by your skimmer. That is assuming your running your reactor the right way and placing the return next to the intake of your skimmer. Its easential doing 2 things at the same time.
My reactor feeds my skimmer as it is external. I'm hoping for as simple as it is set up and walk away add every few months it helps. Only time will tell. I'm thinking I may be dosing lc in three months though unless I see results. I'll update as I test in a month or two.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would hate to get a lawnmower blenny just for it to run out of food but another good point noted

Essentially what I was trying to say as well ;). Even a couple turbos would make short work of some dirty rocks.

You can't really do much better than a rabbit fish for algae though. Still. If you are questioning that you may have too low nutrients even then why do you feel you need to run anything at all?

Thanks for chiming in by the way Randy. I think it's safe to say that you are the smartest person in the room;). You've answered many of my questions personally over on rc over the years! Extremely cool to have your here!

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly for nutrient export if it persists arises. I'm all for the natural way, turbos from past experience just aggravate me knocking stuff over etc. I have astreas and hermits a load of them and as small as they are those guys move stuff time to time. I know I seem like a pia. I'm really listening and taking in what everyone is saying. Just trying to apply it to best suit my circumstances is the challenge.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a decent skimmer water changes carbon gfo and feed light and have a pretty good sized cleanup crew

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've never had a lawnmower blenny, but I deal with that issue by bringing up macroalgae from my regufium once a week. Enough to last 2-3 days. The fish that eat it (foxface and yellow tang) then graze the tank the remainder of the time, and eat the regular foods I feed daily. :)

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a 93 cube i dont think its big enough for a fox face especially with a kole tang 4 wrasse 2 firefish and a rainfors goby pkus an algae blenny. Im akready kinda over stocked on fish. A few of them will be moving over to a new tank soon so its temprary with that many still not sure about the fox in that small of a tank

TankRazr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially what I was trying to say as well ;). Even a couple turbos would make short work of some dirty rocks.

You can't really do much better than a rabbit fish for algae though. Still. If you are questioning that you may have too low nutrients even then why do you feel you need to run anything at all?

Thanks for chiming in by the way Randy. I think it's safe to say that you are the smartest person in the room;). You've answered many of my questions personally over on rc over the years! Extremely cool to have your here!

^ +1

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, is it true the mag level is what kills it or something else in thr kent techm

Kennyb1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the mag level. You really have to bring it up above 1500. I've brought a couple of plugs with bryopsis into my tank and for some reason my skunk cleaners love to clean it off. They've made sure its never been a problem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back