Thinking Vizio for your next build? Think again!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought directly from Aquarium Masters back in the day, they turn out decent stuff.

I checked out all of the stock tanks my LFS had. They all looked solid. My tank was a custom build with the overflows, but it still looked after my initial inspection to be as solid and quality as what I observed in the LFS.

Obviously, there is no way to visually see if there is a defect in the glass itself in a situation like this. Clearly this is a defect in the ribbon itself from the glass manufacturer, not really a fault of the tank builder. That said, the builder should assume the culpability for a failure such as this. even though the fault is not their own, they built and sold the tank.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out all of the stock tanks my LFS had. They all looked solid. My tank was a custom build with the overflows, but it still looked after my initial inspection to be as solid and quality as what I observed in the LFS.

Obviously, there is no way to visually see if there is a defect in the glass itself in a situation like this. Clearly this is a defect in the ribbon itself from the glass manufacturer, not really a fault of the tank builder. That said, the builder should assume the culpability for a failure such as this. even though the fault is not their own, they built and sold the tank.
I have seen tanks do exactly what his did if the side panels were not cut square or had a bit of glass that did not break off correctly do what this tank did. Looking at the pics on an 8k 42” monitor and I cannot find a single impact point. As in no little chip that would have caused this.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen tanks do exactly what his did if the side panels were not cut square or had a bit of glass that did not break off correctly do what this tank did. Looking at the pics on an 8k 42” monitor and I cannot find a single impact point. As in no little chip that would have caused this.
How does the pixel 6 resolution look at that size?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only see the posted photo on my laptop. My best observation is a failure of the glass itself, not a result of an impact of any kind. That, combined with the description that "while pouring coffee I heard a pop and rush" says, this is a failure of the glass itself.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured.
@Eagle_Steve
Hey, this is an interesting side investigation. I was looking at the R2R pic trying to decide where the break originated from. I decided that it started at the break point at the right middle edge of the photo where 4 fracture lines are clearly visible.
OP. Do the aquarium side panels sit directly on top of the (broken!) bottom piece or do they extent down on the outside edge? It appears that the weight of the side panels was pushing down (and out, of course) on the bottom pane, and something in that area put enough force into the system to start that fracture and expand it fairly rapidly.

Sorry about this situation. Glad your tile work spared some of the upstairs, and feel sick thinking about your down stair floors. You seem to have a very measured reaction to the situation, something I'm not sure I would have if I was in your shoes.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang sucks to see this happen. I've never heard of the brand so can't comment on that aspect other than I can totally relate to the sucky customer service recently (Non-Reef related but I'm writing a letter to corporate headquarters about the guy with poor customer service and the guy who fixed my issue and had excellent customer service).

That said, I can second Aquarium Masters. My current 65 Gallon is one of theirs. Had it for going on 2.5 years and the prior owner had it for at least another 2 years prior. I do have some silicone discoloration but everything appears to be holding up well.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang sucks to see this happen. I've never heard of the brand so can't comment on that aspect other than I can totally relate to the sucky customer service recently (Non-Reef related but I'm writing a letter to corporate headquarters about the guy with poor customer service and the guy who fixed my issue and had excellent customer service).

That said, I can second Aquarium Masters. My current 65 Gallon is one of theirs. Had it for going on 2.5 years and the prior owner had it for at least another 2 years prior. I do have some silicone discoloration but everything appears to be holding up well.

This post makes me happy. I have great trust in my LFS. I have been dealing with them for quite a while now and I know that they do their best. To read that another person has at least a couple years experience with these tanks is encouraging.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve
Hey, this is an interesting side investigation. I was looking at the R2R pic trying to decide where the break originated from. I decided that it started at the break point at the right middle edge of the photo where 4 fracture lines are clearly visible.
OP. Do the aquarium side panels sit directly on top of the (broken!) bottom piece or do they extent down on the outside edge? It appears that the weight of the side panels was pushing down (and out, of course) on the bottom pane, and something in that area put enough force into the system to start that fracture and expand it fairly rapidly.

Sorry about this situation. Glad your tile work spared some of the upstairs, and feel sick thinking about your down stair floors. You seem to have a very measured reaction to the situation, something I'm not sure I would have if I was in your shoes.
That is where I said an incorrect cut in a side pane can cause that. Leave little bit there and just wavemakers and returns can cause it to do that. Not sure about how the tank is, but at this point, if it was me, I would tear it apart (gently) and look at all of the edges. Even with the broken pieces, you can still see most of the cut edge.

Also, B is a boss. He kept his cool and reacted like a pro.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is where I said an incorrect cut in a side pane can cause that. Leave little bit there and just wavemakers and returns can cause it to do that. Not sure about how the tank is, but at this point, if it was me, I would tear it apart (gently) and look at all of the edges. Even with the broken pieces, you can still see most of the cut edge.

Also, B is a boss. He kept his cool and reacted like a pro.
That he did

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need to try to get your LFS to play hard ball… “we are no longer selling your products“, if they are big enough they might have some leverage.

Then start stalking their website and any ads they buy on social media, reach out to any other dealers who sell their products.

Blast the picture of the broken BOTTOM of the tank where ever you can. Lots of online reviews.
If i was looking at a tank and saw that I’d move right along.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest question, would you even want them to replace it knowing their quality and customer service?

I'd be on the phone with @Joe Glass Cages talking about a new tank
Yes. I would want them to stand behind a product within a year. That shows me that it actually Was a fluke accident. An imperfection in the glass... That Happens. . . It really does. I'm easy going, but you've got to live up to the Reason, someone would choose you.

Would I set it back up in my house. Unclear.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve

I'm not sure how the bottom is constructed. It has a lower rim, and I haven't even moved it out yet.

My attitude about it is that I saved Most of the life in there.. very few losses, considering.

It's a glass box at the end of the day.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need to try to get your LFS to play hard ball… “we are no longer selling your products“, if they are big enough they might have some leverage.

Then start stalking their website and any ads they buy on social media, reach out to any other dealers who sell their products.

Blast the picture of the broken BOTTOM of the tank where ever you can. Lots of online reviews.
If i was looking at a tank and saw that I’d move right along.
Not really my style.

I came here to R2R and searched for problems about the brand and size and didn't find much. This thread was the psa for future people searching.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. I would want them to stand behind a product within a year. That shows me that it actually Was a fluke accident. An imperfection in the glass... That Happens. . . It really does. I'm easy going, but you've got to live up to the Reason, someone would choose you.

Would I set it back up in my house. Unclear.

Did I read correctly there was foam under the tank? If so....

Rimmed tank, correct? How thick was the foam? Did it go completely under tank or only under the rim? Did the manufacturer suggest or require the foam by chance?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back