OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement fish room update is complete. I was able to save all but one sticker. Super happy with the way everything worked out as well. The only thing I didn't think of was how I am going to test salinity in the new barrel. I am sure I will come up with something.
20210923_174751.jpg

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah Amazon and I have a complicated relationship. She sent me this today :
20210924_171026.jpg

I also got a call this morning from Fed Ex. Scheduled the tank delivery for Thursday 9/30. Took Thursday and Friday off. God so little time and still so much to do.......

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tomorrow is the day. Not even close to being ready. I am just hoping we can get it in the house. We only have 3 steps and a doorway. Weather is supposed to be perfect. Let's hope for the best outcome. Then we can worry about getting it on the stand and plumbing and lighting and flow and the final transfer. Oh God what did I do.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a fun build!!! The suspense of waiting must be agonizing.
Yeah but what is it they always say...nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby. I am just glad I can realize a dream.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was following the mini, but saw this beast so hopped over here as well. I thought about joining the comp, but just started a 180 gallon and was worried about trying to do both. Way to take on the challenge. Good luck with both.
Omg you too this is a 180g as well. I may need to pick your brain on some things :)

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg you too this is a 180g as well. I may need to pick your brain on some things :)
We seem to have traveled down pretty similar paths to get here. I started my first tank in March 2019 (55 gallons). Quickly upgraded to a 75 gallon, and finally moved to the 180 gallon. Basement sump as well on this build. I did a ton of research before starting… but now I feel like I have no clue what’s going on, so I may be picking your brain as well.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We seem to have traveled down pretty similar paths to get here. I started my first tank in March 2019 (55 gallons). Quickly upgraded to a 75 gallon, and finally moved to the 180 gallon. Basement sump as well on this build. I did a ton of research before starting… but now I feel like I have no clue what’s going on, so I may be picking your brain as well.
Anytime the basement sump is SO worth it. I am currently stuck on powerheads. Gyre or puck. Leaning towards jebao like the return pump. I will tell you my favorite thing is kasa smart plugs. They come in strips or singles and they make water changes and mixing water a breeze. You can use with or without alexa which make them even better. I also have my lights and powerheads hooked up to them on timers.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe is my spirit animal.
@Stang67 Spirit animal. I totally love that!!!! Your positive energy is incredibly infectious! Infectious!

Motion creates motion and such Positive Energy permeates the woes of the day. Lean forward and make the best of the day you/we have!!!!

Thanks so much @Stang67 for allow us to be a part of your journey.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my new powerheads this weekend. They are the new jebaos that match the new return pump. Now to get this stand top thing figured out. 3 options are available. Starboard which is the most expensive. Marine grade plywood with paint which is middle of the road (and what I am leaning towards). Or cheap option regular 3/4 plywood with paint?
For the squishy layer between tank and top we have lots of options. Anything from a polycarbonate structural sheet to good old fashioned styrofoam. Too many options and brain is numb. GC set up instructions say 3/4 inch styrofoam which actually came with the tank but I was hoping to find a nicer finished option. If I don't go styrofoam how thick should the pad be? 3/4 as well?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we got the top figured out. Squish layer coming in from glasscages. Because I am an idiot and should have just ordered it with the tank. (Thanks joe) The top hard layer will just be a nice piece of 3/4 board (not particle) painted with topside by rustoleum with a mitered edge. Will also use that for inside shelf.
Pumps came as well today.
16333887800577454859464904532808.jpg

Gonna try and test them out tomorrow.
Pvc, 2 light hanging brackets and some more salt I think we will be ready.
Oh and heaters need to order heaters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first hiccup. Could not figure out how to get the pumps to connect to app. Then they started to throw some weird error and when I disconnected them I got a spark. A big one. Three strikes and that's a solid heck no from me. So back to amazon they all go and I start shopping again. Oh darn.
Oh and the pvc holders I got are too small. Stupid metric system.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first hiccup. Could not figure out how to get the pumps to connect to app. Then they started to throw some weird error and when I disconnected them I got a spark. A big one. Three strikes and that's a solid heck no from me. So back to amazon they all go and I start shopping again. Oh darn.
Oh and the pvc holders I got are too small. Stupid metric system.
Scary! Where the pumps unplugged when you disconnected them? Being connected will always produce a spark from my experience

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scary! Where the pumps unplugged when you disconnected them? Being connected will always produce a spark from my experience
No pumps were connected just the controller. It kind of stinks because the return pump is also going back. I wanted wavemakers and a return that were controllable remotely. Still have options just more expensive. So we will go with what I have now (Danner mag return and misc powerheads) until the deals for black Friday start coming in. At least I hope there will be some deals.
Did some quick research last night and like the sicce DC wavemakers, just wish they were a bit stronger. Not sure on the return yet. Just don't like the idea of reducing flow with a pipe fixture rather it be the motor of the pump.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a while back I mentioned that I won an ATO container on a FB page. Well it came today. I dont think i have ever had something this nice (other than my new tank) for my saltwater hobby. I have always made do and Diy'd stuff. Not only did @cprice and mako acrylics send the ATO top of but he threw in an EPIC frag rack. And get this these are prototypes so I am one of only a few people in the whole world that have this stuff. SERIOUSLY AWESOME. Thanks man you really do impressive work.

20211007_163135 (1).jpg
20211007_155123 (1).jpg
20211007_155158 (1).jpg
20211007_163048 (1).jpg

Also in other good news....I think I have procured a return pumps and 2 powerheads from sellers here on the marketplace just waiting for the invoices. So its been a good day.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back