OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up. How are the 3 tangs doing together?
Quite well actually! At first the yellow and powder blue would chase each other around but that stopped after a week. Luckily nobody got hurt. Now everybody just minds their business and when they get nori every body lets each other eat :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Tracdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me I know! I have 2 gyres on each side so the noise was ridiculous. A little tip for you if you do this mod is go slow. You’re going to have to cut a small 2 inch piece off the original piping to get the elbows to connect. Then from there slip it onto the drain and cut a little off and test fit so it’s not too high but higher than it originally was. I rotated it towards the back of the overflow so the splashes didn’t go in the pipe. I should’ve made a video because it’s a really common thing on the Infinia line for some reason.
Good advice! I contracted Waterbox to buy a second emergency drain piece so I have a back up. I have some spare pipe from cutting the main drain so I could always add more if I over do it.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually my first time doing bare bottom so I’m sure they’ll be some issues down the line. Right now going through the dreaded ugly stage. I have some snails in qt at the moment so once they’re out I’m hoping things get better. Really trying to be patient this time around :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Doesn't look too bad lol

vortexreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there Raph! Great choice for a tank lol I had the scape made by someone in Florida and they used about 70ish pounds of rock. As far as lights go I’m going to add an ai blade for fill light because the way the scape is I’m getting a lot of shadowing. 4 primes would probably be perfect if you spaced them out correctly. Your rock scape design is going to play a big part as well.
Do you by chance have the contact info for who made your rockscape?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a few months now and still going through the uglies. I have a whole bunch of hair algae going on and the tangs can’t really keep up with it. Decided to add an urchin and some turbo snails and they’re started to really put a dent into it in some areas. Really taking my time with things this time and trying to fix issues naturally vs throwing a chemical at it like I normally would. Still going to wait to add coral and get things stable first. I’m really enjoying the process with this build and ultimately I think it’ll make me a better reefer.
IMG_3017.jpeg

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah with a bare bottom, i think your gonna be stuck in the ugly stage for a while.

Otherwise im loving your PB tang... although if someone asks do i want one, id probably give them Nasty looks, as it was the main reason i shut my tank down last time.

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah with a bare bottom, i think your gonna be stuck in the ugly stage for a while.

Otherwise im loving your PB tang... although if someone asks do i want one, id probably give them Nasty looks, as it was the main reason i shut my tank down last time.
I love it! Pb and yellow keep eachother in check. I got the yellow from a fellow reefer and it was the boss in his tank. They get along really well surprisingly.

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider getting some Tampa live rock and sand, if nothing else for the sump. Starting with dry rock really puts you behind the curve when it comes to maturing and since you haven’t added any corals your biodiversity is probably lacking. I battled the same thing. I swear starting with dry rock took me 6 months just to get things looking decent.

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider getting some Tampa live rock and sand, if nothing else for the sump. Starting with dry rock really puts you behind the curve when it comes to maturing and since you haven’t added any corals your biodiversity is probably lacking. I battled the same thing. I swear starting with dry rock took me 6 months just to get things looking decent.
I've actually really considered getting some. The only thing that worries me is pests and possible ich/velvet.

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always throw it in a trough or some buckets for a month or so, that will eliminate ich or velvet.

Solo McReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what she said

A lot of the necessary bacteria are ON the corals themselves

The de-nitrating bacteria is inside real live rock(or really old cured dry rock). And can come in on frags, CC, and frag plugs

Corals don't care about the algae on your rocks. Algae say, "The water is good to grow stuff"

I would have put $15 tester frags in months ago, on frag racks at least. But that's me. I saw the pic, "Oh, it's a fish only tank".

Then, I would increase my CC(you going to get more algae). Add a macro algae filter(doesn't matter what kind). Scrub the algae off with a brush, and pull it out manually. Until it's gone

I've even used Vibrant before. It works on normal algae fine enough, doesn't work on crysophates enough to matter.

Solo McReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love urchins in the tank

But they eat through coralline to the rock

And they eat the insulation off of cables in the tank

mizukage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the varios 4 working out for you? I’ve been thinking of getting one for my WB 150.4 too but looking at the gph, it seems that the varios 6 is what I need for a tank this size.

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the varios 4 working out for you? I’ve been thinking of getting one for my WB 150.4 too but looking at the gph, it seems that the varios 6 is what I need for a tank this size.
Been pretty solid. No problems at all since it’s been setup and works with my wave engine with no modifications. I run it at 85%

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back