G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of week 6!

I spent yesterday without power for 14 hours. I ended up powering the pump and one heater using an inverter powered by my son’s car. Lol.

But all is well, which is good because I had an order arriving! Added 5 blue reef Chromis - 3 of which are so tiny I was afraid they’d get lost in that big tank.

My parameters are stable-ish. Just working on dialing in my dosing (2 part, Reef Fusion) via a 4 head simplicity pump.

Gave in and purchased an apex pm and salinity probe (glad I did that!) and then moved most of my core equipment to a power bar so I can automate a bit more. Still frustrated by the apex optical sensors - I don’t entirely trust them.

I am seeing film algae on the glass and the back of the tank - but the CUC is keeping most of it clean for me, and the conch and watchman keep the sand turned over quite nicely.

My sump, on the other hand. Wow. It’s ugly in the fuge! But the chaeto is doing well and my nitrates have been stable at 2ppm. I’ve moved to testing once a week now so we’ll see what Saturday brings.

I’ve seen signs of cyano in the skimmer chamber but it’s always gone within hours.

I gave up on filter socks and replaced with cups. I’m using polyfil and changing every 3 days or so.

co2 scrubber is keeping my ph around 8.3-8.4.

I’m still pleased with the results of the Lasse method so far. I haven’t seen any ugly (except in the sump) and the tank seems to have settled into a nice rhythm quite quickly, even with the power disruption yesterday.

I won’t be adding more livestock for a while - still deciding what I want and I want to give the existing crew time to settle in while I dial in dosing and make sure it stays stable.

Now I’m just waiting to see some coraline start growing. Weird thing is that I have a couple snails covered in it, but I’m not seeing it on the rocks or glass yet.

IMG_7965.jpeg

OP
OP
G

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of week 8!

My belief that the power outage would not have an impact was sadly mistaken.

My poor tang couldn’t take the stress, and every reef Chromis fell, one by one. So it wasn’t until this week that I tried adding some new livestock - a Tomini Tang and 3 firefish.

Still working on getting dosing to even out parameters. It’s close but not as even as I’d like. The Apex absolutely helps with this! I can’t wait til the Nitrate/Phos tester comes out!

I’ve had to start dosing phosphate and increase feeding reef rounds to raise nitrates. Both bottomed out and I saw signs of algae growing pretty fast. I’m testing every morning and manually dosing as needed (for now). In the last week I’ve raised phos to 0.03 and nitrates are between 5 and 10. CUC mowed down the algae covering the back of the tank wall and the tang enjoys grazing everywhere else.

I also reduced light on my five to 6 hours at night, and the signs of cyano have disappeared.

I’m really happy with where the tank is right now - and am planning how to move livestock from my 50 so I can tear it down.

Attachments

• IMG_7992.jpeg
    IMG_7992.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 9

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back