This could be a great power backup option for a power outage.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really not great for our application compared to a standard UPS backup. The whole purpose of that one is that it’s portable, while a much less expensive UPS backup activates automatically and has surge protection.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching with interest...your video didn’t work for me for some reason, can you post as a YouTube.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for the M18.

Wow just checked out your link to the Top Off. That would be a great idea for short term solutions if you were at home and could switch over.

Also would be great for around the house during short term outages for things like task lights or room fans.

OP
OP
seitzjh

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running only (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 to see how long it will run. The noise on the battery generator is the fans in it. Compared to a gas generator, a lot quieter. Plug on the side so you can recharge the batteries. Batties are removable of course.

It’s really not great for our application compared to a standard UPS backup. The whole purpose of that one is that it’s portable, while a much less expensive UPS backup activates automatically and has surge protection.
Just think multi-purpose. The purpose of this would be for long power outages, so I'm testing to see how long this would run. I would think this would be better then dealing with a gas generator and this is seating indoor right next to the tank. I'm starting with the basic, for oxygen. I can't test with heaters because my system never uses them, but I have them in place. After that I will run with powerheads, return pump, and venturi skimmer. We have to think of gas generator cost versus the battery generator cost. Then you have to add the fuel cost to keep gen going. It probably, maybe cost me least then a $1 US to charge the (2) batteries.

OP
OP
seitzjh

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow just checked out your link to the Top Off. That would be a great idea for short term solutions if you were at home and could switch over.

Also would be great for around the house during short term outages for things like task lights or room fans.
This would be great for an air bubbler for travel.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mere money...

Attachments

• Powerwall.jpg
    Powerwall.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 85

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the route I went! Got the charger/inverter off of Amazon and added the battery. it has an automatic transfer switch built in. I plan to add another battery at some point but haven't had the need yet as the deep cycle marine battery i have has been able to keep everything running for all the power outages we have had, and we do get them often. I have my 55 and my 120 hooked up to it and it has run both tanks for several hours long power outages without a problem.

Attachments

• 20191008_170546.jpg
    20191008_170546.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20191008_182825.jpg
    20191008_182825.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 54

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the route I went! Got the charger/inverter off of Amazon and added the battery. it has an automatic transfer switch built in. I plan to add another battery at some point but haven't had the need yet as the deep cycle marine battery i have has been able to keep everything running for all the power outages we have had, and we do get them often. I have my 55 and my 120 hooked up to it and it has run both tanks for several hours long power outages without a problem.
What are you running on it?

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything that is running on my 2 tanks except the uv. Lights, return pumps, gyres and powerheads, turf scrubber, skimmers etc.
Wow, that’s quite a bit x2. I was thinking of just doing flow, most of our outages are short lived. Good to know I could do more.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, I'm done with my thread hijacking, that was very rude of me. I apologize.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why you would do this unless your in an apartment or home you don't own. For $1500 you can buy a good gas generator large enough (10000 watts plus) to power most if not all of your house. For $75 more an interlock switch so you can hook it directly into your breaker box and for a few hundred more an electrician to install the interlock. Your going to spend $2000 to power a reef tank when you can power your whole house for $1800 and $20 of gas.

OP
OP
seitzjh

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why you would do this unless your in an apartment or home you don't own. For $1500 you can buy a good gas generator large enough (10000 watts plus) to power most if not all of your house. For $75 more an interlock switch so you can hook it directly into your breaker box and for a few hundred more an electrician to install the interlock. Your going to spend $2000 to power a reef tank when you can power your whole house for $1800 and $20 of gas.
I get your point. This is just another possible option, that is all. Well, in Hurricane prone areas. During a Hurricane this can be indoors.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reviews mention this shuts off on its own after one hour of use. Did you find that isn't the case?

OP
OP
seitzjh

seitzjh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reviews mention this shuts off on its own after one hour of use. Did you find that isn't the case?
It did not do that. I found in the manual that only happens if it doesn't sense any current (amps) draw. So if gen is on and there is no current draw for 60 minutes, it goes into sleep mode.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back