This has gotten stupid

Battlecorals

Vivat imitator!
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
8,817
Reaction score
20,882
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a lot of Gyres, been using them a long time. In fact I was a beta tester for them way back in the basement days. And I still have the cool metal box that the first addition came out in.

Needless to say I'm deep in the Gyre nexus, so I'm not really looking to change to a different pump altogether, but I'm pretty sure the version just before the newer "cloud" edition was superior. Not sure why it's different, but I've had to replace lots of cracked and rusty impellers and, the actual cables seem to literally be dissolving. Where it's been submerged.

Which is a little concerning if I'm being honest. The block in the picture is anywhere from 1 to 3 years old. I'm not exactly sure but no older than three years.

Which brings me to yesterday. Had another block go out and went to purchase another Pump, which I am super glad that you guys offer just the pump only option without the controller and stuff. But I noticed that there's was a price hike. And I get it. It is what it is. Things are expensive. It's an expensive hobby. I'm not here to make a stink about that.


This all to ask simply, can I get just the Gyre 350 motor blocks? Rather than have to buy a whole pump?

I only need the block. Don't even need the magnets. Don't even need the grommets or anything else.

Just the block, is this possible? I'd probably buy a box of 20 if I could.


IMG_0456.jpeg
 
Buy the hygger model and buy 4 new ones for the price of one maxspect .lol they actually do work pretty well though. Only downside of the gyres has been the lifespan but maybe someone can help you
 
Buy the hygger model and buy 4 new ones for the price of one maxspect .lol they actually do work pretty well though. Only downside of the gyres has been the lifespan but maybe someone can help you
any idea if those can these run on the wave engine?
 
Yes. Reach out to BRS support. They were able to sell me a separate motor block only when mine went out!
hey thanks for chiming in thats good news. I texted my rep a day before I posted this. haven't heard back yet. Maybe ill try another avenue. curious though, what did that set you back?
 
All right well I'm getting nowhere here super fast no response at all from my rep, or email or this thread.

I'm about ready to give up on these gyres altogether and maybe I'll just explore the ice cap ones.
 
I’ve been disappointed with reliability as well and have thought about plumbing spray bars off of 2 return style pumps alternating controlled by OSC on apex. The extra energy cost would be offset by not buying motor blocks and you’d save a ton of time not cleaning and reassembling cages. And you could use Tunzes.
Unique Corals had some secret flow pattern in their raceways they posted about but wouldn’t explain years ago and i always wondered if that was how they did it. It was way before gyres came out.
 
I’ve been disappointed with reliability as well and have thought about plumbing spray bars off of 2 return style pumps alternating controlled by OSC on apex. The extra energy cost would be offset by not buying motor blocks and you’d save a ton of time not cleaning and reassembling cages. And you could use Tunzes.
Unique Corals had some secret flow pattern in their raceways they posted about but wouldn’t explain years ago and i always wondered if that was how they did it. It was way before gyres came out.
Not a bad thought at all. I do end up spending way too much time cleaning all these things too. I’m definitely considering other options at this point.

When I look at all the newer cloud version gyres I can see quite literally that the cable leading into the block is dissolving. I’ll get my calipers out next time and actually measure but the jacket is visibly thinner where’s it’s been submerged

That is not good.


Suppose of I was real ambitious I could even set up a surge on each tank that would be cool
 
I have no clue about hydros integration but I got so tired of replacing major name pumps (not gyres) every 2-3 years. I’m also not a big fan of supporting knock-offs, but I tell you what….as Great White says “once bitten twice shy”. Anyway, I’ve replaced all my pumps with Jebao gyres. They’re not expensive (in comparison) and have been lasting longer than my other pumps. Sure you can’t get parts or support, but a complete unit can be at your door in 24-48 hours. Plus one could have spares on hand and still be ahead.
 
I have no clue about hydros integration but I got so tired of replacing major name pumps (not gyres) every 2-3 years. I’m also not a big fan of supporting knock-offs, but I tell you what….as Great White says “once bitten twice shy”. Anyway, I’ve replaced all my pumps with Jebao gyres. They’re not expensive (in comparison) and have been lasting longer than my other pumps. Sure you can’t get parts or support, but a complete unit can be at your door in 24-48 hours. Plus one could have spares on hand and still be ahead.
I’m to the point where I will consider all options for sure my man. Thanks for the insight.

Check this out.

So the actual cable is dissolving, where it’s been submerged I can’t think of any better word for it here. I’ve never seen anything like this happen to a cable before but all the cloud gyres look like this

This is only on the newer cloud versions I’ve still got 10+ year old 280s that are fine as well as pre cloud gyre 350s.

The cloud version is not so great. This pump is not more than 2 years old.

IMG_0497.jpeg


IMG_0498.jpeg
 
I have a Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 2 the the part of the power cord that was submerged disagrated leaving the 2 inner wires exposed!! For a pump (just the pump no controller) that cost $215 is criminal .. I have a very old maxi jet 1200's relatively cheep pumps (original Italian ones) the cords are perfect.. is shameful these manufactures get away doing this...
 
What modes do you run the XF350 (cloud edition) on with the wave engine? I can’t get them to do any sort of pulsing without them stalling and giving me the red “check pump” error. I just run them on Gyre mode now. In the last year I’ve had 2 XF350 and a 330 go out. I get so fed up. I ended up getting 2 Jebao Cross Flow 180s. Honestly they are a better pump IMO. If there was some way to control them with Apex or Wave Engine, I’d go all in with them.
 
I’m to the point where I will consider all options for sure my man. Thanks for the insight.

Check this out.

So the actual cable is dissolving, where it’s been submerged I can’t think of any better word for it here. I’ve never seen anything like this happen to a cable before but all the cloud gyres look like this

This is only on the newer cloud versions I’ve still got 10+ year old 280s that are fine as well as pre cloud gyre 350s.

The cloud version is not so great. This pump is not more than 2 years old.

IMG_0497.jpeg


IMG_0498.jpeg
Most likely they, their supplier, or the cable manufacture changed or subbed something. Could just be planned obsolescence. Make a pump that lasts a lifetime, how do you stay in business?

I’ve had cords in the water that urchins won’t touch, and I’ve had cords that my tinfoil hat tells me that they sprinkle in some sort of urchin crack in with the rubber.

There was a thread years back where the poster swore that his pump cable was siphoning the tank water (inside the rubber jacket) and steadily dripping through the connector and into the controller (shorting it out) which was mounted under the tank in the stand.

Oh by the way @Battlecorals when will you be switching to a subscription model? Frag $75, oh you want faster growth….$10 per frag per month. More color…another $10 a month. Platinum package includes everything, $100 a month per frag or an all inclusive everything, for life (life value can be changed at any time as lifetime doesn’t actually mean anything anymore) only a cool million!
 
I don’t expect anything to last a lifetime, especially in such a harsh, unforgiving environment as a reef aquarium. But, I do expect a fairly premium product to last more than a couple of years. Or at least be more serviceable. I don’t think that’s a great way to run a business. Innovate and develop new products that move the hobby forward, that’s how you stay in business.

It’s unfortunate, because the gyre is a great pump design and such a good flow solution for so many. The excessive cleaning part doesn’t bother me at all.

I wish Maxspect had a service kit like AI does for the Orbit. New propellers, bushings, and magnet and shaft. As long as the motor block is still spinning, it makes the Orbit like new again, and for only $25.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new