This is not the "Things with Stings" I had in mind.

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just around the bite, yes it's from the venom, but those photos you see of large areas of flesh becoming necrotic are usually from secondary infection. I've been bitten by over 160 species of spiders to document the reactions the venom causes. Each person is different and all my bites were done in a controlled environment just in case I had an allergic reaction.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Texas you have a few species of loxocseles, not just reclusa, L deserta which usually delivers more venom per bit than reclusa.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Texas you have a few species of loxocseles, not just reclusa, L deserta which usually delivers more venom per bit than reclusa.

I have no idea what it was past admitting diagnosis "Brown Recluse bite" or "Rattle snake bite". My expertise is post bite care, not biter 411 and now I wonder if they were one of the others. Most of the time the spider never came with, so I have no idea, but I bet you're right. Being admitted to my unit was for a higher level of care. If I saw them, they were "sick".

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personal experience with the brown recluse. The area turned black and died. There was no secondary infection, as they were placed on antibiotics upon arrival.
I was bit by a brown recluse years ago, the pain was horrible, luckily they caught it in time and could contain the infection to one area , still have a big scar. I love to garden but HATE spiders!!!

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what it was past admitting diagnosis "Brown Recluse bite" or "Rattle snake bite". My expertise is post bite care, not biter 411 and now I wonder if they were one of the others. Most of the time the spider never came with, so I have no idea, but I bet you're right. Being admitted to my unit was for a higher level of care. If I saw them, they were "sick".
Also I know a lot of cases especially with the foot the spider is being crushed releasing all its venom instead of the minute amount it would if it were just a bite. The worst reaction I've ever had was from an Australian Red-back spider, I still have the scar it's about 2"×3.5 on my wrist from the tissue dying. It went untreated for 5 days under medical supervision. Still one of the most painful things I've ever gone through in my life.

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already twice today I went through their web. NOT COOL!!!!!!
If you don't have pets that wonder around outside, you can try spreading diatomaceous earth around your house, it'll cut up their lungs eventually kill them, it's a safer approach than pesticides.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I live we has thousands of black widows and they never bother us, its actually not a rare occurrence to have 1-2 on you while weed wacking the lawn. If you really want to get rid of them the spider guy who sprays for them said the only real good way to get rid of them is to buy cheap AquaNet hair spray and spray their webs, he said it will kill them out fairly quick.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, y'all hate me for sure.

I actually use spray that is for black/brown widows. It kills them..... I stay and watch to make sure. I've seen those shows where it didn't kill them and they all ran..... into his HOUSE. Ya, at night I'm out in the dark with a flashlight spraying brown widows, while cackling to myself with delight, as I suck in too many pesticides.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have pets that wonder around outside, you can try spreading diatomaceous earth around your house, it'll cut up their lungs eventually kill them, it's a safer approach than pesticides.

I'll try that. I feel so bad when something else dies in the spray! I'm very protective of my bees. I have a lot of hummers and the bugs are very important to them. I don't spray and pray.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sound like a 5 year old with all my short sentences.

EDIT: That was actually very ADHD of me.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back