This is why acclimation boxes are winners!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang that has been in the tank for 4 months.
I want a yellow tang. Or two.
I know purple and yellow shouldn't normally be mixed but I have the acclimation box.
Should I give it a go?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok update!

The Powder Blue fully recovered in the frag tank. The Achilles really started bullying more and more fish and then the last straw was he started pic king on my Gem more so I dropped in a trap and caught him in 30 min. I then moved him to the frag tank and the PBT back to the display! My favorite fish has always been the Achilles but I I can't sacrifice several fish I really like for one that I love. Plus he's ticked me off.

I'm looking to find him a good home now.

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread. I'm probably going to start using an acclimation box from now on. The ones from Elite Aquatics and Synergy Reef are constantly out of stock :( .

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added this quarantined powder blue to the acclimation box! You can see why acclimation boxes are worth their weight in gold! I have three different sizes I use.

Sorry for the low quality!

Where did you get that acclimation box from?
Just added a small powdered blue tang to my tank that has a 4cm blue tang and a 7cm yellow tang. The yellow tang has occasionally tried to attack the powered tang and he couldnt care less he was eating algae of the rocks and eating nori and I couldn't believe it. It was stressed for about 5 minutes and suddenly couldnt care less about the bigger yellow tang i fed all the fish to see if he would eat and he ate straight away it was unbelievable. I saw this guy in my lfs for the last 4months and no one bought him and i glad i did

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that acclimation box from?
Just added a small powdered blue tang to my tank that has a 4cm blue tang and a 7cm yellow tang. The yellow tang has occasionally tried to attack the powered tang and he couldnt care less he was eating algae of the rocks and eating nori and I couldn't believe it. It was stressed for about 5 minutes and suddenly couldnt care less about the bigger yellow tang i fed all the fish to see if he would eat and he ate straight away it was unbelievable. I saw this guy in my lfs for the last 4months and no one bought him and i glad i did

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised that it is the Achilles tang that give you problem. If I have to guess, I would guess the Clown Tang would be the one. I think the fact that the Clown Tang seem to be young and small is the reason he is not the king of the tank.
@revhtree
How big is your tank? You have a lot of nice tangs in there. Beautiful.
Sorry that you cannot keep both the BPT and Achilles tangs. I wonder how the fish acts in a few years. I always love the Clown tang but their size and aggressiveness is a huge deterrent for me.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang that has been in the tank for 4 months.
I want a yellow tang. Or two.
I know purple and yellow shouldn't normally be mixed but I have the acclimation box.
Should I give it a go?

This acclimation thread is AWESOME! I just ordered my 14" The SHU – Octo Aquatics. Bonus: lifetime warranty. Bonus #2: free shipping right now

@d2mini How is it going with your purple tang? I've heard as they get older, they become so territorial no other fish can be added. Wondering if your experience says that is true or false.

@cromag27 Above says ~8 weeks recommended keeping fish separated. Wondering if there is 1) recommended max length of time in box and 2) recommended way to get food INTO box for fish without risking fish escape. Not planning a 2 month acclimation in DT after QT, but my 'peaceful' (not!) fish are territorial. My current hang on side acclimation tank worked... except original fish then only wanted to allow new fish to live in that hang on area... story ends in death. LOVE this SHU is magnetized so I can have it couple days here, couple days there, etc etc... but I'm planning minimum of week in DT acclimation 14" SHU by Octo Aquatics so feeding is important to the future fish that will be inside

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back