This sucks…

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the process of replacing my Red Sea tank that had a seal failing with a new IM tank. While bringing it in from the garage through a doorway the person helping me slipped pushing the tank forward with their knee straight into a metal bracket. Emailed support to see if I can purchase a new one :/.

6C65FD5E-6C48-4906-A0FC-8434E2A5F174.jpeg D8B3B1C3-DBF1-45EF-94ED-7499BEE5C5B4.jpeg 8087B9EA-D075-400E-9C79-7AA3207E8A22.jpeg 3D134E24-2A52-445B-9F5C-1E2C9C74F9B2.jpeg

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooohhhhhhhh nooooooo! This is exactly why I didn’t sleep well for days before my IM tank was moved in. So sorry this happened to you

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooohhhhhhhh nooooooo! This is exactly why I didn’t sleep well for days before my IM tank was moved in. So sorry this happened to you
Yeahhh not fun :/. I'm mainly worried about my fish that are stressed out in a tub. Hoping I can get a replacement pretty quick.

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have an update. I was quoted $1700 for a new tank including shipping. I'm going to call around to shops and see if this is fixable. That was an expensive accident.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. This is why I plan on using insured movers if and when I do a big upgrade. Will have to spend a bit, but I'd hate to be in a situation like this with a friend causing the damage.

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. This is why I plan on using insured movers if and when I do a big upgrade. Will have to spend a bit, but I'd hate to be in a situation like this with a friend causing the damage.
I'm definitely wishing I would of went this route now.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man that really sucks!!! I have definitely chipped glass when moving tanks, but never on a tank that big or nice.

If there are no other options the tank may be usable, albeit with a blemish. Do you have the small pieces that broke off or is it dust? When I chipped my tank I siliconed the chip back in place just for aesthetics. In this case maybe you could do the same but add a small triangular piece of glass above the corner for some extra security. . . this may all be terrible advice. . . just thinking out loud.

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that really sucks!!! I have definitely chipped glass when moving tanks, but never on a tank that big or nice.

If there are no other options the tank may be usable, albeit with a blemish. Do you have the small pieces that broke off or is it dust? When I chipped my tank I siliconed the chip back in place just for aesthetics. In this case maybe you could do the same but add a small triangular piece of glass above the corner for some extra security. . . this may all be terrible advice. . . just thinking out loud.
I do still have the piece that chipped off. My only fear is if this affects the structural integrity of the tank. I personally don't mind the looks of the chip, but I'm worried that will cause a tank crash eventually.

Has anybody done a repair on a chip like this successfully or think leaving it as is would be fine?

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $1700, I would just buy a new one. I can't imagine it would be much cheaper for someone to dismantle that and rebuild it for less. And, then have to worry about it being built correctly.

Next time, build a makeshift stand with wheels if you have the means. Then you could just wheel it wherever you need it. The only lifting you will have to do is from that stand to the permanent one. This is what I did to move my large tank around. I mean, if no stairs are involved anyway. Pic below for example.

Also, if you decide to use that aquarium, I do not believe that little chip will hurt the integrity of the tank but, I would definitely defer to a tank expert (Joe w/Glass Cages for example) or IM for sure.

Temp Stand.jpg

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
F37A9980-FB04-49E4-9B3C-E7FAA0F785BC.jpeg

My Reef savvy tank is euro-braced with aluminum frame painted black.

If you can find someone locally to fabricate, just adding a black frame to the top and bottom would still look nice and totally conceal the damage and possibly make your tank structurally stronger.

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $1700, I would just buy a new one. I can't imagine it would be much cheaper for someone to dismantle that and rebuild it for less. And, then have to worry about it being built correctly.

Next time, build a makeshift stand with wheels if you have the means. Then you could just wheel it wherever you need it. The only lifting you will have to do is from that stand to the permanent one. This is what I did to move my large tank around. I mean, if no stairs are involved anyway. Pic below for example.

Also, if you decide to use that aquarium, I do not believe that little chip will hurt the integrity of the tank but, I would definitely defer to a tank expert (Joe w/Glass Cages for example) or IM for sure.

Temp Stand.jpg
That's sadly how the damage happened. Going from the garage down the stairs into the basement.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back