This Tank Needs HELP!

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
961cf3e8d30a2100babd429658cf4b6f.jpg

It's a JBJ Rimless 30 Gallon tank. I purchased it like this last night from a woman who said it had been up and running for 7 months. This is what it previously looked like with her...

b1ad115750308b711c05d349ed7ea544.jpg

She's been keeping freshwater tanks for a couple of years and attempted saltwater but it didn't work out for her. At first glance, I noticed she had no powerhead or extra flow in the tank so there is a lot of settled grossness on the floor. She also posted a picture where she had both a current orbit marine light and kessil a80 light on the tank at the same time so that was way too much light, causing lots of algae growth! She also added caleurpa to the tank.

24f8369bca22e171c912821bd4390618.jpg

I bought the tank for $200 and it included the JBJ Rimless 30 Gallon Tank with the glass covers and both return pumps rated at 256gph each, the 24" - 36" us current marine orbit led light, a coralife biocube nano skimmer, a nano media reactor, mag float glass cleaner, and water testing kit. It also included live rock, crushed coral substrate, 2 ocellaris clownfish and a green bubble tip anemone that hosts one of the clowns. (I already sold both clownfish and the bubble tip anemone last night.) Still in the tank is a green condylactis anemone, green torch coral, small patch of Xenia (I gave the larger patch of Xenia away for free with the clowns), small patch of GSP, several patches of nondescript zoas (probably 40-60 heads spread out around the tank), and some hermit crabs and many different kinds of snails. The tank is also infested with bristle worms and ampiphods and I picked and threw out a few asterina stars as well.

Last night, it took me 3.5 hours to clean the tank, scrape the glass and clean out and scrub the filter chambers. I changed out about 45% of the water volume and removed and currently curing a rock that was infested with green hair algae. I also picked off and removed the caleurpa and added a hydor koralia 425gph powerhead. It's amazing the difference that good flow makes!

I got a steal of a deal for this tank and everything that came with it. It's going to be a bit of a project tank but I'm excited for the end results! I'll be selling some of the accessories and all of the livestock that's inside and once I sell the extras, the tank will be close to free! Not a bad deal!

b624798e1c59cdb82d168c7c82b363d7.jpg

After the cleanup that I did last night, this is what it looked like today. I wasn't able to do any cleaning today because I woke up sick! [emoji40] The water is cloudy but it already looks significantly better! I'm going to be slowly curing each piece of rock and adding a few more pieces, and replacing the crushed coral substrate with Fiji Pink sand. I'll be doing a mini series on YouTube on the progress of this tank and keep you updated here on Reef2Reef. Thanks for following along!

[emoji170] [emoji225] - BLUE DAMSEL

[emoji170] [emoji225] [emoji170] [emoji225] [emoji170] [emoji225] [emoji170] [emoji225] [emoji170] [emoji225]

[emoji170] 12/14/17 UPDATE [emoji225]

5305b69c2361dfe444275f6470b07a8f.jpg

7f02894d273fe7db5c0389e8b4102c9d.jpg

I rehomed the corals and inhabitants (and got a good chunk of my money back by selling them) and I removed all the sand and cleaned the filters and tank several times over. I also bought and mounted the JBJ Stand and moved it from where it was in the TV Stand! [emoji23] I'll be removing the rock and soaking it in vinegar to kill off any remaining algae and bristle worms. This will most likely spark a mini cycle but I'm hoping that the established bio rings in the filter will keep ammonia spikes at bay. Here's what the tank is looking like today so far! If you guys have any 30g rockscape picture ideas to help me with my aquascaping, post them below! Thanks! [emoji106]

[emoji170] [emoji225]

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back