This water testing device looks cool...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35-40 bucks sounds way to steep... no way they disc cost 35-40 bucks.

Is a phone that costs more than $1,000 expensive? Depends on who you are and what you use it for. :)

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When comparing it to other products out there (which I have, BTW), I am more inclined to go with this product than keep/upgrade what I have.

The current product I have, is now obsolete and to get any kind of Alk/Mag/CA monitoring I need to spend another $500+ just to be able to pay more to get the monitoring add on.

I also like the idea of this being so small for nano tanks/no long wires to run. I can easily fit this into the sump of my smaller tank.

Their website says a dosing controller is in the works as well. So as long as they don't make you buy another/newer model to run it, I am more inclined to drop what we have right now and get on board with the Mindstream.

And I totally agree with @Randy Holmes-Farley

I will use my phone long past it's 'newness' factor as long as it works. Where as I know some people need to have the latest and greatest just because. It's all how much you need or want something.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an owner that has had it working for about three weeks, I can tell you that so far it has been well worth the money. Everything has a value to each individual. Cell phones being a good example. So far the product works as advertised. I think the most fascinating thing to me is how much water chemistry changes throughout the day.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it is relative to what your time is worth. You have to understand that some of us have 10k or more in our systems. Taking tests several times a week and then buying the reagents for those kits also adds up. Would it make sense on a smaller setup? Probably not.

How much do you pay for car insurance a month? Think of this as insurance for your tank.

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it is relative to what your time is worth. You have to understand that some of us have 10k or more in our systems. Taking tests several times a week and then buying the reagents for those kits also adds up. Would it make sense on a smaller setup? Probably not.

How much do you pay for car insurance a month? Think of this as insurance for your tank.

I totally agree with this being considered insurance for the aquarium.

As far as smaller set ups, I would consider investing in this for our 300 gallon ($10k+ invested) or our 40 gal Waterbox. Way less cords to wrangle for a small set up.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree they need to bring the price down on the reagents. I plan on picking up the Apex Trident when it becomes available. A two month supply of reagents for it is $45. So basically it's half the price. Unless I'm missing something.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to add your time in the value prop calculation. Most services seem expensive unless you put a value on your time. And do not under value yourself. I use $20.00 an hour when thinking about what my time is worth. It was when I did that when I made the decision to never do yard work or car maintenance again. :)

But that said...even seeing this could probably worth it, I like testing and doubt I'd ever go this route. The manual interaction is one reason I love the aquarium hobby.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with this being considered insurance for the aquarium.

As far as smaller set ups, I would consider investing in this for our 300 gallon ($10k+ invested) or our 40 gal Waterbox. Way less cords to wrangle for a small set up.

I admire people who can keep smaller setups stabilized. The smallest I've ever attempted in saltwater was 55 gallon. It taught me alot. My other setups were 240 and now my 160 which is as much as I want anymore, ha. Things just happen so much slower and gives me time to make small changes.

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admire people who can keep smaller setups stabilized. The smallest I've ever attempted in saltwater was 55 gallon. It taught me alot. My other setups were 240 and now my 160 which is as much as I want anymore, ha. Things just happen so much slower and gives me time to make small changes.

We've kept our former 28 gal JBJ nano with anemones and clowns for 4+ years. No skimmer, no monitoring (just visual cues), no water changes. Just changed it all to the Waterbox more than anything for the mangroves. Coraline was growing like crazy that I had to get in there whenever I had time to chip away at it so we could see into the tank.

That said, I love tech, and if I could monitor that tank with a Mindstream (or similar) it would do it. Is the price considered high for that tank compared to our 300 gal? Yes. Do we need a 24/7 monitor for it? Probably not. But, it would be cool to see the trends over time and know other than visuals if something was going to upset the apple cart.

I also attribute that tanks success to shear dumb luck. I find that sometimes the less I care, the better it does. :p

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial reaction is: This thing is freaking awesome! The $35 a month is nothing. The time it would save is the key for me. I work 6 days a week from spring thru fall with my business. I just don't have the time. I do keep up on my tanks but I'm not testing all of the parameters I'd like every week. My wife helps a lot and I appreciate that.

I have 3 red sea tanks I would use them for. One initially to test and evaluate. If it's as good as I hope, it would go on all 3. My small 20 gallon AIO maybe not....or maybe, IDK.

Denizzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents, Our tanks are close systems. So changes in biology and chemistry may be result of our actions that not been thought thoroughly . Low Alk? Low Ca? Not properly quarantine ? etc. Whatever the result that will be seen on screen, it will need our action for correction. We still need a controller in our hands. Possible 2000$ (cost of a controller + Mindstream) is needed to have much benefit from this testing unit. Most of tank owners are spending less on crucial equipments (PS, Lights etc).
I am just trying to say, some may need some may not. I dont think it is priority right now to spend that much without controller. We still need a hands of our neighbor or friends while we are at work or vacation :) Not saying it is useless btw. If you have budget and your tank doesnt need any crucial equipment upgrade then it will be good addition.
I maynot properly say what I think coz of not being a native English speaker but I believe all reefers are smart to understand what I meant :)

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial reaction is: This thing is freaking awesome! The $35 a month is nothing. The time it would save is the key for me. I work 6 days a week from spring thru fall with my business. I just don't have the time. I do keep up on my tanks but I'm not testing all of the parameters I'd like every week. My wife helps a lot and I appreciate that.

I have 3 red sea tanks I would use them for. One initially to test and evaluate. If it's as good as I hope, it would go on all 3. My small 20 gallon AIO maybe not....or maybe, IDK.
You obviously have disposable funds to buy 3 units and pay 105 bucks a month and shell out 3 grand for the 3 units..... you my friend are in the minority and I’m happy that you’re able to do that !!!!

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree they need to bring the price down on the reagents. I plan on picking up the Apex Trident when it becomes available. A two month supply of reagents for it is $45. So basically it's half the price. Unless I'm missing something.
Yeah the reagents on the trident are expensive

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Car insurance is a necessity this thing doesn’t even test NP 2 crucial parameters for a reef tank

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, The tech is really cool and I’ll be following along to see how it develops and the company holds up long term but the pricing model isn’t for me. They ran a $300 dollar discount deal for MACNA... Seems to me that at a regular price of $700 retail there’d be many more folks inclined to give them a shot and is probably more in line with what it’s actually worth.
I agree , 600-700 for the unit with a 15-20 monthly I think this company would blow it out of the park with volume sales !!!!

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of no titration and no wasted water from the tank, but I need to see more people being successful long term with this thing before investing. When I think what it costs and the hassle of the KH director, and the lack of supply of the Trident, this option seems like a pretty good one, especially if all I have to do is replace a disc once a month.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the reagents on the trident are expensive

You can buy a 6 month supply of reagents for the Trident for $99. That's less than $17 a month.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back