This week in the history of chemistry #9

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week in the history of chemistry #9

Dec 16, 1776. Johann Wilhelm Ritter was born. He electrolyzed water to collect hydrogen and oxygen. He discovered ultraviolet rays.

Dec 17, 1706. Émilie du Châtelet was born. She discovered the chemical nature of fire. Also known for her mathematics and for her relationship with Voltaire.
Dec 17, 1778. Humphry Davy was born. He isolated barium (Ba, element 56), calcium (Ca, 20), magnesium (Mg, 12), potassium (K, 19), sodium (Na, 11), and strontium (Sr, 38). He co-discovered boron (B, 5) and recognized as elementary and named chlorine (Cl, 17). He invented Davy mine safety lamp.
Dec 17, 1832. Michael Faraday enunciated the first law of electrolysis: "Chemical power, like magnetic force, is in direct proportion to the absolute quantity of electricity which passes,".
Dec 17, 1938. The fission of uranium (U, element 92) by neutrons was detected by Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassmann in Berlin.
Dec 17, 1908 Willard Frank Libby was born. He developed carbon dating and won the Nobel Prize in 1960.

Dec 18, 1856. Joseph John Thomson was born. He characterized "cathode rays", discovering a particle (the electron) with much smaller mass to charge ratio than any known up to that time. He won the Nobel Prize (Physics) in 1906. His work on positive rays led to the development of mass spectroscopy. He proposed the idea that the number of electrons in an atom was related to its atomic mass.

Dec 19, 1949. The element berkelium (Bk, element 97) was discovered by Kenneth Street, Jr., Stanley G. Thompson, Glenn T. Seaborg, and Albert Ghiorso using ion-exchange chromatography at University of California, Berkeley.

Dec 20, 1952. The element einsteinium (Es, element 99) was discovered by Louise Smith, Sherman Fried, Gary Higgins, Albert Ghiorso, Rod Spence, Glenn Seaborg, Paul Fields and John Huizenga using ion-exchange chromatography at University of California, Berkeley, 1952.
Dec 20, 1890. Jaroslav Heyrovsky was born. He invented the polarographic method of analysis and won the Nobel Prize in 1959.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back