Those darn filter socks!

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always washed my Red Sea filter socks in the washing machine with bleach and then double rinsed and air dried. I noticed lately they clog after only two days. Has anyone tried a vinegar soak or any other method to make them last longer? Nothing in my tank has changed to make them clog faster. Thanks in advance.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try letting your socks soak in bleach while you are collecting them for the washing machine. Mine sit for weeks in a bucket with the bleach before machine washing. After washing machine, They come out looking brand new and seem to last longer. I let air dry but re-rinse with regular water throughly before using and let them completely dry again.

I usually get 5 days out of my filter socks but have discovered a new trick. I put a small ball of filter floss in the sock. After 5 days I pull the filter floss out and get another 5 days before needing to change the sock.

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher micron filters like 225 micron don’t plug as fast.
There’s also mesh instead of felt, which again last longer between cleanings.

I tried 100 microns, they plug in 12 hours.

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try letting your socks soak in bleach while you are collecting them for the washing machine. Mine sit for weeks in a bucket with the bleach before machine washing. After washing machine, They come out looking brand new and seem to last longer. I let air dry but re-rinse with regular water throughly before using and let them completely dry again.

I usually get 5 days out of my filter socks but have discovered a new trick. I put a small ball of filter floss in the sock. After 5 days I pull the filter floss out and get another 5 days before needing to change the sock.
Thank you so much for the hints. I will definitely give that a try. What bleach dilution do you soak in?

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher micron filters like 225 micron don’t plug as fast.
There’s also mesh instead of felt, which again last longer between cleanings.

I tried 100 microns, they plug in 12 hours.
Thank you for the information.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank ran 2 years without filter socks of any kind, had so much debris circulating in the tank it was always hazy. I recently put on 200 micron filter socks and a 25 micron cannister filter cartridge. The first month my filter socks lasted 12 -15 hours. Now, that the water column is finally filtered out, I'm getting almost 2 days out of each of my filter socks! I'm ecstatic! You want a week? Wow! I'd be amazed if I got a week out of mine. I run it through a bleach cycle in the washer with cold water so as not to evaporate the bleach, then I rewash on a sanitize cycle, with no bleech. They continue to last up to 2 days for me. This week was the longest at 3 days per sock. I might finally be getting most of the particles out and moving to a normal. .

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried 200 micron felt and they clogged in 48 hours. Tried mesh (multiple sizes) and it just masserates the detritus. Finally back to 400 micron felt and we get 5 to 7 days out of them. Pretty happy with this. I ran without socks for a few days and got the Po4 up to .09, but water was cloudy and we didn't like it. Instead we run the sock and have been toying with the amount of light we give the chaeto. This has allowed us to consistently run Po4 at .05 and are working to raise it through the chaeto light. Skimmer also off now of course. We had zero nutrient in the water when it was running.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the hints. I will definitely give that a try. What bleach dilution do you soak it in?
Very important - Regular Bleach!!!

Do NOT use any bleach that might be scented or splash proof. Has to be 100% regular bleach.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a roller filter :p
I would love to but I'm terrified of cutting apart the sump with a dremel to remove the sock holders... maybe one day I'll get such a great deal on one that I'll get over my fear of cracking the sump. lol

DaveC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some vinegar in the washing machine and call it a day. Oh, turning them inside out helps too. No bleach for me

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back