Those that use gate valves

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you buy slip to glue or threaded and why
I’m going to buy some unions for the manifolds and other areas but didn’t know which kind of valves I should purchase

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you buy slip to glue or threaded and why
I’m going to buy some unions for the manifolds and other areas but didn’t know which kind of valves I should purchase

Really depends on:

- do you have equipment to thread pipe or can you buy pipe segments of the appropriate length?
- is there space to rotate the needed pipe or fittings?

It’s somewhat easier to custom fit solvent welded parts.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like what above said 99% of people wont have a access to a pipe threader. What this means (just in case you didnt realize) is that you would then need a male to slip adapter. In the end you would have threaded and glued and add quite a bit of length to your valve.

OP
OP
linkedsilas

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re
Like what above said 99% of people wont have a access to a pipe threader. What this means (just in case you didnt realize) is that you would then need a male to slip adapter. In the end you would have threaded and glued and add quite a bit of length to your valve.
right I didn’t think about that

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do go the threaded route I would just use Teflon tape instead of dope it's a lot easier. Just wrap the threads 8 times clockwise.

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used threaded gate valves for the fact they can be reused, but I made sure they were connected to a union slip so they don't need to be threaded in place, I just finished my plumbing here's a pic, side note I used the pipe paste as well, its non toxic, and easy to apply.
20190224_174148.jpg

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer threaded, because it's easy to remove them if I need to fix something.

For a slip -> thread adapter, buy a long piece of SCH 80 PVC pipe nipple (the pipes that are threaded at both ends). Then just cut it in half. Boom. 2 male thread -> slip adapters.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a threaded valve, NPT Male x Socket adapters jointed to flex PVC. That way if I need to change out the valve or plumbing for cleaning/maintenance, I won't wreck the valve.

With the fittings that are available, there's no need to make the thread on PVC pipe.

JxAjaT9.jpg

6RiNhn5.jpg

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do go the threaded route I would just use Teflon tape instead of dope it's a lot easier. Just wrap the threads 8 times clockwise.
Teflon tape is not designed for pvc fittings. Its easier, less messy, but much more prone to leaks and over tightened fittings.

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teflon tape is not designed for pvc fittings. Its easier, less messy, but much more prone to leaks and over tightened fittings.
Sorry but your wrong! I did irrigation installation on commercial and residential properties for over 8 years. We used teflon tape for almost all threaded fittings and never had anything leak as long as installed properly. Teflon tape is more for plastic pipe dope is more for metal
Screenshot_20190225-123907_Chrome.jpg

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but your wrong! I did irrigation installation on commercial and residential properties for over 8 years. We used teflon tape for almost all threaded fittings and never had anything leak as long as installed properly. Teflon tape is more for plastic pipe dope is more for metal
http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

I've seen plenty of professionals do the same, but I usually go with the manufacturer's recommendations.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just because you did it for 8 years one way does not mean it was the correct way.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slip for peace of mind. Once it’s in there and glued properly it’s not going to leak. I don’t use threaded fittings anywhere on my plumbing.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%

Back