Those that use gate valves

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but your wrong! I did irrigation installation on commercial and residential properties for over 8 years. We used teflon tape for almost all threaded fittings and never had anything leak as long as installed properly. Teflon tape is more for plastic pipe dope is more for metal
Screenshot_20190225-123907_Chrome.jpg
How do you know they didn't leak? Most of your irrigation connections are under ground. And if the did leak, who would care?

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know they didn't leak? Most of your irrigation connections are under ground. And if the did leak, who would care?
Because most of the time that we used threaded fittings it would be on a valve or valve body those are in a valve box and get looked at. Most everything we put in the ground would not be threaded it would be slip and glued. Also if something underground was leaking it could be be a pretty big deal depending on what it is. And to answer your question how do I know they didn't leak I had to test everything I installed if it was leaking it would have to get redone. Also if Teflon tape was incorrect then why would the suppliers of the pipe be suggesting Teflon tape for the threaded fittings? My point was you can use teflon tape just fine it doesn't cause leaks and it's quite easy to use if installed properly yes if you use too much tape it can be hard to thread on and cause an issue that's why I said if installed properly. I was just trying to give the OP another option instead of pipe dope like others were suggesting that's all so if we can stay on topic for now on that would be great thanks.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a threaded gate and thread to slip adapters because if I had ever need to get the gate out to reuse I don’t have to shell out the big bucks for a new one. Yes it added a quite a bit of length especially the 1.5 inch valve I used, but I worked it out

clover128

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do go the threaded route I would just use Teflon tape instead of dope it's a lot easier. Just wrap the threads 8 times clockwise.

I know that's what the reefing community (and BRS in videos) recommends, but the PVC manufacturers, specifically spears, warns against the use of teflon tape on threaded pvc fittings. You run a higher risk of overtightening the fitting due to the bulk/lubrication factor and causing damage/cracking as a result. Spears recommends a sealant made specifically for use on pvc, and then to only tighten 2 turns max past hand tight.

I also don't understand the comments on people not having pipe threaders. You should never thread a pvc pipe. You weld on either a socket or threaded fitting. pvc has specific thickness to meet it's requirements and would be made thinner by pipe threading. It's not like threading galv steel. Maybe I'm missing something in the discussion. Wouldn't be the first time.

Back