Though situation need advice with CP

Ja890425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep this brief I need advice. I tried to do the “right thing” and take in a friends clown fish he’s had for 2 years (I believe it’s a blizzard or Ice storm?) after he lost its partner and wanted to get out of the hobby I stupidly added it to an observation tank with some of his aiptasia infested live rock with the intention of breeding some Nudis and 2 fish I was almost ready to move to my DT (green mandarin and tailspot blenny) both looked perfect and aren’t known to be disease magnets but better safe than sorry. I got sloppy with keeping things separate and must have contaminated my DT (30L IM AIO) and low and behold I now have ich in the QT/observation… now to the fun stuff in my DT I have my clown pair I’ve had for years and survived a wild move so I need to fallow the tank, treat them, treat my mandarin and blenny and now another clown that absolutely can’t risk my clowns with. I just got my Chloroquine Phosphate and I have two more clean 10 gallon tanks that are dry… so.. my plan is
1) 10-14 days in the CP and into sterile tank which will be tough but I have the mandarin on a BBS feeder as well as the Tailspot as well as frozen and then do the extra clown separate and find him a new home and fallow the tank for 76 day
2) same as above except run 30 days in the CP and by then I should have atleast a beginning of a cycle in second 10g making the fallow a little easier maybe
3) same as 2 but get a 20L to use during the fallow period (mind you I’m fallowing my DT and what will now be the nudi breeding tank so I’ll end up with 4 tanks for atleast a hot second… any suggestions would be super helpful I really want to get this started asap and treat what’s going into my DT all at once so I can observe and do some tank remodeling in the mean time and hopefully not pull my hair out over the next 2.5 months
TLDR- I’ve got too many clowns and 2 picky eaters that all need chloroquine phosphate for ich… I need to fallow my DT at the same time. How long in CP and any suggestions would be great thanks!

@Humblefish if you’re out there I’m trying to use your CP protocol #1 I just want to verify it’s up to date and 10days will suffice Thank you!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep this brief I need advice. I tried to do the “right thing” and take in a friends clown fish he’s had for 2 years (I believe it’s a blizzard or Ice storm?) after he lost its partner and wanted to get out of the hobby I stupidly added it to an observation tank with some of his aiptasia infested live rock with the intention of breeding some Nudis and 2 fish I was almost ready to move to my DT (green mandarin and tailspot blenny) both looked perfect and aren’t known to be disease magnets but better safe than sorry. I got sloppy with keeping things separate and must have contaminated my DT (30L IM AIO) and low and behold I now have ich in the QT/observation… now to the fun stuff in my DT I have my clown pair I’ve had for years and survived a wild move so I need to fallow the tank, treat them, treat my mandarin and blenny and now another clown that absolutely can’t risk my clowns with. I just got my Chloroquine Phosphate and I have two more clean 10 gallon tanks that are dry… so.. my plan is
1) 10-14 days in the CP and into sterile tank which will be tough but I have the mandarin on a BBS feeder as well as the Tailspot as well as frozen and then do the extra clown separate and find him a new home and fallow the tank for 76 day
2) same as above except run 30 days in the CP and by then I should have atleast a beginning of a cycle in second 10g making the fallow a little easier maybe
3) same as 2 but get a 20L to use during the fallow period (mind you I’m fallowing my DT and what will now be the nudi breeding tank so I’ll end up with 4 tanks for atleast a hot second… any suggestions would be super helpful I really want to get this started asap and treat what’s going into my DT all at once so I can observe and do some tank remodeling in the mean time and hopefully not pull my hair out over the next 2.5 months
TLDR- I’ve got too many clowns and 2 picky eaters that all need chloroquine phosphate for ich… I need to fallow my DT at the same time. How long in CP and any suggestions would be great thanks!

@Humblefish if you’re out there I’m trying to use your CP protocol #1 I just want to verify it’s up to date and 10days will suffice Thank you!

I've stopped using chloroquine all that much. I was seeing adverse reactions at effective doses in wrasses and lionfish. Wat dose do you plan to use? I would treat for 14 days beyond when you saw the last trophonts on the fish.

Here is a link to my old chloroquine article:

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a reason you are not using copper?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I apologize - maybe I'm missing it - so forgive me.

I understand you had an observation tank with a blenny and mandarin. You added the clown from the friend to the observation tank. What isn't totally clear is why you need to fallow your display tank - I do not see you mention that you have any ich in your 'display tank' (did you perhaps make a typo)? Do your other clowns have CI? I'm assuming that rather than saying this: " I got sloppy with keeping things separate and must have contaminated my DT (30L IM AIO) and low and behold I now have ich in the QT/observation…". to " I got sloppy with keeping things separate and must have contaminated my DT (30L IM AIO) and low and behold I now have ich in the DT…"??? If so your plan is correct.

OP
OP
J

Ja890425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize - maybe I'm missing it - so forgive me.

I understand you had an observation tank with a blenny and mandarin. You added the clown from the friend to the observation tank. What isn't totally clear is why you need to fallow your display tank - I do not see you mention that you have any ich in your 'display tank' (did you perhaps make a typo)? Do your other clowns have CI? I'm assuming that rather than saying this: " I got sloppy with keeping things separate and must have contaminated my DT (30L IM AIO) and low and behold I now have ich in the QT/observation…". to " I got sloppy with keeping things separate and must have contaminated my DT (30L IM AIO) and low and behold I now have ich in the DT…"??? If so your plan is correct.
Yes sorry It was a typo, it should have said DT and observation tank I haven’t seen spots on my two clowns in there but there is flashing and head shaking so that’s my best guess at this point, I made the mistake of assuming his fish was clean since I’ve known this fish since he got it and Quarantined but as I didn’t observe the fish the entire time and being that he lost the tiny make that he bought at the same time I’m making an assumption that’s where it came from, kind you he’s had these fish for a few years.

As far as not using copper, Dragonets from everything I’ve read do not tolerate copper and I haven’t seen much information either way on the Blenny so to keep things easier for myself I’m using the CP.

Ideally I would do the hybrid tank transfer method, but, I have a small apartment and my schedule with work just won’t make that possible, I’d be extremely close if not completely missing the transfer windows… not to mention sterilizing tanks all along the way

OP
OP
J

Ja890425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've stopped using chloroquine all that much. I was seeing adverse reactions at effective doses in wrasses and lionfish. Wat dose do you plan to use? I would treat for 14 days beyond when you saw the last trophonts on the fish.

Here is a link to my old chloroquine article:

Jay
I was planning on doing the one dose of 60mg/g and replacing if I run into trouble with ammonia and have to do waterchanges. I will be using prime but that only goes so far in my experience

Back