Thought on the fish I just ordered?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it won't ship until Monday so maybe I can call today and switch that fish for something else
Highly recommend this course of action.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could give you more insight on the boxfish. It looks like your sand bed is a little shallow at this point, but I agree with the suggestion of a melanarus wrasse as a nice alternative. However, I would make sure your sand bed is at least 2-3 inches or hide a tupperware with sand in it as a place to burrow

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be here by 10:30 am tomorrow! I tried to cancel the wrasse but I couldn't without canceling the whole order and the boxfish was out of stock. I heard that six-lines are mainly only aggressive towards new arrivals, and I suppose I am going to be taking a chance. I am going to take a long time to acclimate them tomorrow, and I'll post pics and share the experience!

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be here by 10:30 am tomorrow! I tried to cancel the wrasse but I couldn't without canceling the whole order and the boxfish was out of stock. I heard that six-lines are mainly only aggressive towards new arrivals, and I suppose I am going to be taking a chance. I am going to take a long time to acclimate them tomorrow, and I'll post pics and share the experience!

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could give you more insight on the boxfish. It looks like your sand bed is a little shallow at this point, but I agree with the suggestion of a melanarus wrasse as a nice alternative. However, I would make sure your sand bed is at least 2-3 inches or hide a tupperware with sand in it as a place to burrow
I think 6 lines don't need to burrow. Mine does fine in my bare bottom frag tank.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the clowns didn't make it:/ I'm getting ready to drip them
63d785f201660c16b2df20b2dca2ba49.jpg

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish are in and everything is doing good besides the blenny disappearing and one clown arriving dead.
b0c81d906758f1a1c58cd70f4d128a0f.jpg
2ab1b9c4d10acf43c45c6bb57ec3edb2.jpg
6bf33616476277aadbcaefae978b305b.jpg

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's such a shame that six line wrasses are so evil, as they are so beautiful! I think nearly every tank would have one if they were peaceful.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don' give up on your 6 line, I only had experience with one and he was fine, never bothered any of my fish and i had clowns and other smaller fish (had a lunar wrasse in there as well and they got along). I always read that 6 lines were terrors in other peoples' tanks, but mine was a perfect citizen.

I had lots of caves and rockwork in that tank so plenty of places for it to roam and explore, maybe that had something to do with it.

Give him a chance...

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don' give up on your 6 line, I only had experience with one and he was fine, never bothered any of my fish and i had clowns and other smaller fish (had a lunar wrasse in there as well and they got along). I always read that 6 lines were terrors in other peoples' tanks, but mine was a perfect citizen.

I had lots of caves and rockwork in that tank so plenty of places for it to roam and explore, maybe that had something to do with it.

Give him a chance...
Thanks! I am, so far he's doing good and making use of every possible nook and cranny

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reason the clown was dead in the box was that the heat pack was placed right against his bag so he was "cooked". I sent an email to liveaquaria advising them to tape the packs to the styrofoam lid.

Twisted_Blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had my sixline wrasse for 5 years and have never had an issue. never bullies any other fish and always keeps to himself. lol i guess i got lucky. watch ill go home tonight and hell be a terrorist lol

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't cancel the 6 line, place him in an acclimation box long enough for your other fish to become established in your tank. It may cut down aggression until he gets so bad you have to remove him.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now I have more bad news, I woke up this morning and the box fish was laying on the bottom unable to swim. He hasn't looked great since I got him, but now I noticed his beak looks really bad. I took him out and placed him in a bucket. I'm currently livid with liveaquaria
d8917b55f8f21d990825920699517d60.jpg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a valentini puffer in a 32 gal Biocube softie tank. So far he's been ok with the leathers and zoas. The only thing he's eaten is the entire CUC LOL. I've had to replace the original CUC with very large snails, an emerald crab, and a fighting conch to avoid him treating the CUC like his own personal snack bar. So far carefully selecting the CUC has worked out ok. I don't have any other fish in there with him yet though, so I can't speak to that.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a valentini puffer in a 32 gal Biocube softie tank. So far he's been ok with the leathers and zoas. The only thing he's eaten is the entire CUC LOL. I've had to replace the original CUC with very large snails, an emerald crab, and a fighting conch to avoid him treating the CUC like his own personal snack bar. So far carefully selecting the CUC has worked out ok. I don't have any other fish in there with him yet though, so I can't speak to that.
Hahaha thats funny, as soon as I put mine in the tank he went after a hermit crab. He's really small right now and I don't think he'll be able to eat them yet, but if he does it wouldn't bother me too much. They don't serve much of a purpose in my tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.1%
Back