Thought on the fish I just ordered?

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my 75 gallon tank for 4-5 years now, it crashed last year, and has been empty of fish for some time. I just placed an order on live aquaria that should be here Tuesday for 6 fish. I am hoping that the boxfish I got will be similar to the helmet cowfish, which I found very easy to take care of.

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 2.57.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 2.57.27 PM.png

Also, I am aware that boxfish get large and change their color when they get older. I have done my research and will be upgrading before it gets too big. My main concern was keeping the boxfish and the puffer together, but my tank has a lot of swimming space. Does anyone have any tips or past experience/ recommendations? I am most excited about the captive bred blenny

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as previously stated they can be nasty little guys. I do have a buddy with one though that has never had any issues of aggression over the last 2 years. Now that I say that...he'll call tomorrow to tell me it turned rogue!

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this boxfish? I would love to have a boxfish or a cowfish but I have a 75 gallon tank and I dont know if I am going to upgrade. How fast do they grow? My tank also has a lot of swimming space.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this boxfish? I would love to have a boxfish or a cowfish but I have a 75 gallon tank and I dont know if I am going to upgrade. How fast do they grow? My tank also has a lot of swimming space.
Apparently they're difficult to keep? I had a helmet cowfish in the past but never had any trouble with it. I think the key is knowing they can release toxins if stressed, stable parameters, and peaceful tank mates. Which now worries me about the wrasse [emoji47][emoji47][emoji47]

Mark Waltermire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also comment on having an aggressive 6 line wrasse that I think we ended up giving away to the fish store. I am now a fan of wrasses again after getting my melanarus wrasse. I was amazed at the difference in the personality's of these 2 fish that are both in the "wrasse" family.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline are terrors, I hate to pile on..

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it won't ship until Monday so maybe I can call today and switch that fish for something else

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, sixlines can be terrors, but I'd be more concerned with the boxfish and the puffer. As you know the box fish could nuke your tank, and a puffer is not reef safe. I personally wouldn't purchase any of the three. There are many alternatives to the 6 line for pest control if that's why you want it. All 3 fish look cool though so I get why you want them!

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line wrasse are good alone in a frag tank or sump. I would never keep them in a dt with other fish. By far the biggest jerk fish I ever owned, 20 years ago.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called and tried to swap the wrasse but they said the order had already been sent and I'd have to cancel the whole order to change it. The box fish I got went out of stock after I bought it so I'm going to take my chances as of now

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, sixlines can be terrors, but I'd be more concerned with the boxfish and the puffer. As you know the box fish could nuke your tank, and a puffer is not reef safe. I personally wouldn't purchase any of the three. There are many alternatives to the 6 line for pest control if that's why you want it. All 3 fish look cool though so I get why you want them!
I've had a blue spot puffer that wasn't reef safe before and he was just fine. I've also has a cowfish that could of nuked my tank and didn't have any trouble with it. My only worry was putting the two together haha

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line wrasse are good alone in a frag tank or sump. I would never keep them in a dt with other fish. By far the biggest jerk fish I ever owned, 20 years ago.
Thanks for the input. I don't want a mean fish in a sensitive fish tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back