Thoughts about no filter on a macroalgae tank?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the lobster tank I’m thinking about when I get the new macroalgae in to remove the HOB filter and just get a small powerhead for flow. I mean isn’t a filter kind of unnecessary for a macroalgae tank? Although I like my carbon it keeps the water extra clear. Though macroalgae helps/does the same but maybe not as well?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the lobster tank I’m thinking about when I get the new macroalgae in to remove the HOB filter and just get a small powerhead for flow. I mean isn’t a filter kind of unnecessary for a macroalgae tank? Although I like my carbon it keeps the water extra clear. Though macroalgae helps/does the same but maybe not as well?

It’s even unnecessary on a coral tank. Remove it if you want :)

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s even unnecessary on a coral tank. Remove it if you want :)
True once super established or it has very large corals for nutrient export and isn’t heavily stocked. I think I will because the tank doesn’t have a heavy bioload and I only feed him every few days or so.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon does help remove things macro would not and macro removes things carbon would not. Water changes can remove both.

True once super established or has very large corals and isn’t heavily stocked. I think I will because the tank doesn’t have a heavy bioload and I only feed him every few days or so.

A tank never needs a filter outside of live rock and flow. The rock is a filter. There are tanks on here with no filter whatever ever, no skimmer, no sumps, nothing. The tanks run a bit dirtier and they support some interesting life since all the small life isn’t being filtered or disturbed. Fish stocking may need to be lower.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The carbon does help remove things macro would not and macro removes things carbon would not. Water changes can remove both.

A tank never needs a filter outside of live rock and flow. The rock is a filter. There are tanks on here with no filter whatever ever, no skimmer, no sumps, nothing. The tanks run a bit dirtier and they support some interesting life since all the small life isn’t being filtered or disturbed. Fish stocking may need to be lower.
The thought of that grosses me out in a heavily stocked tank although most have refugiums or other means of export! I see what the skimmer and the filter collects it’s gross haha. Plus I certainly wouldn’t want to swim and live in my own filth. I didn’t have a skimmer at first and then I got one and realized how much more fish poop and organics were in the water lol!:flushed-face: My reef tank is also a small tank that’s heavily stocked for the size and has no refugium. I wish it did…next time. You live and you learn!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thought of that grosses me out in a heavily stocked tank although most have refugiums or other means of export! I see what the skimmer and the filter collects it’s gross haha. Plus I certainly wouldn’t want to swim and live in my own filth. I didn’t have a skimmer at first and then I got one and realized how much more fish poop and organics were in the water lol!:flushed-face: My reef tank is also a small tank that’s heavily stocked for the size and has no refugium. I wish it did…next time. You live and you learn!

Haha… skim-mate is pretty nasty looking and smells pretty bad too.

Skimmer helps with gas exchange too.

Oddly enough I read this link when people were talking about how much money it would take to drink the skimmate lol gross. It apparently doesn’t have as much fish poo/organics as I would have thought but still gross.

Btw macro algae tanks are wonderful :) I wish I had one going.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back