Thoughts and comments on my new 90 gallon setup

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I've recently been building up my 90 gallon tank setup and I think I've finally just about finished it for now. I'd love to know everyone's thoughts on my aquascape, sump setup, and more! To start, it's a 48x18 marineland corner flow aquarium which I have plumbed with a Herbie overflow. I have 80 pounds of AragAlive special grade reef sand, along with around 70 pounds of dry rock and 20 pounds of live rock. I'm using instantocean reef crystals for my salt keeping my water at 1.025sg. For my light I have a FluvalSea Marine 59W light set with all light channels to about 10% right now for the two clowns I have in there currently. For my main powerhead I'm using an IceCap 1k gyre pump, and I'm likely going to use a regular old powerhead to eliminate any leftover dead spots that the return doesn't flow into either. For my sump I have an ecoreef 100, currently with a filter sock soon to be a sponge. I have an extremely oversized BubbleMagus Curve 7 in the first chamber, 1L of some seachem matrix in my second chamber, and an aquamag 950 for my return pump along with an innovative marine ATO in the return pump chamber. Plumbed into a very rudimentary manifold, I have one aquamaxx reactor right now as well with a return into the second chamber. I plan on getting a small turf scrubber as well and putting it above the second chamber. And for a heater I have an Eheim Jager in my cornerflow chamber as far down as possible so it stays below the surface even in a power failure, and it's hooked up to an inkbird wifi temperature controller along with a grounding probe in there as well. I also have a wye check valve on my return and made sure to only put the nozzles about half an inch below the surface just in case, and my plumbing has about 4 90 degree angles with 4ft of height. That's about it and let me know what you guys think and any recommendations you may have!

70548D1E-D43C-4F54-83BF-24F1D2FB0FEA.jpeg 42F710CA-C11E-47FD-820F-B940FF4F87CD.jpeg BAA7B8C4-0604-4532-8C7C-B9FD9DD2B610.jpeg 53B57B5E-0B47-48BE-AB04-80EB5A5877F4.jpeg C130C0D1-83E1-4087-892E-54FEF1635097.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BubbleMagus will also not stop overflowing and I'm not sure whether I should let it continue to break in or put it on some egg crate. I have it in about 10" of water so I'm not sure why it's so overactive.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks great! I like the rock work!

I would only have the lights on for a few hours or less for a few weeks, there's lots of new white surfaces In there.

The filter sock looks like it might be a little difficult to change out frequently, but maybe you will get a rhythm with that. Overall it looks like a great start, I love the 90g tanks it's a good size tank and opens up allot of options for fish and coral!

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks great! I like the rock work!

I would only have the lights on for a few hours or less for a few weeks, there's lots of new white surfaces In there.

The filter sock looks like it might be a little difficult to change out frequently, but maybe you will get a rhythm with that. Overall it looks like a great start, I love the 90g tanks it's a good size tank and opens up allot of options for fish and coral!
The sock is definitely a pain and I'm hoping switching to the sponge canister makes it a little easier to maintain! I'll make some tweaks to the lights as well!
Thank you!

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The setup looks good! Please keep us posted as it matures.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a great setup, but if you only have one of those Fluval Light bars on it I doubt you'll get much coral growth on anything. Not sure what you're planning for that. Would probably have to run at least 2 in series or upgrade to something more powerful. I have twice as much light wattage as you do on a 30" tank.

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a great setup, but if you only have one of those Fluval Light bars on it I doubt you'll get much coral growth on anything. Not sure what you're planning for that. Would probably have to run at least 2 in series or upgrade to something more powerful. I have twice as much light wattage as you do on a 30" tank.
I definitely plan on getting another one when the time comes to start growing some coral and maybe another one to supplement the two!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back