Thoughts from reefbum show on dosing iron to get rid of Dinos

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is an enduring hidden truth in reef troubleshooting: X works for someone in their tank (attributed to X, nobody knows) then they roll it out to the masses as a fix 100% based on their perceived attribution, that's nearly all methods of invasion control in reefing

look for the telltale signs in posts: they post their own tank before and after.

opposite of that: don't release anything in a blog or article until we have 300+ corrected reefs on file, in work threads, to eliminate bias and unforseen variables. I almost never see that regarding invasion control...because it's hard to do.

the telltale sign of the unique way: you get hundreds of linked examples of the method working for others tanks, and none of them involve the author's tanks

Last edited:

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a frag tank that got hit with Dinos. I will try the iron supplement from reef moonshiners and test for it to see at what point the dinos dissappear and at what concentration level ( if they do) and will report back on this thread in few days. Wish me luck!!

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag tank that got hit with Dinos. I will try the iron supplement from reef moonshiners and test for it to see at what point the dinos dissappear and at what concentration level ( if they do) and will report back on this thread in few days. Wish me luck!!
sounds good! My two little fishies iron supplement comes in today so well see what happens after I start dosing that.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which type of dino and how was it identified? Those are important considerations.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You guys watch the latest reefbum episode with Claude from Fauna Marin. He know ehat he is talking about.
I ended up not dosing more iron as I dose it everyday anyways via reef moonshiners method so I knew I was not deficient in it.

The take away is A capable uv sterilizer and some bacteria dosing( Fauna Marin Bacto balls) took care of the issue. The bacteria is more so of nutrients reduction in my case.

I believe I got Dinos because of the sudden stripping of nutrients . My no3 was 30ppm and I got it down to 9ppm and po4 was 0.2 and now it sits at 0.05.

As long as you balance out your system of nutrients and stop dosing bunch of additives and focus on your major element and just feed the tank well along side having a good filtration system that take it right out you should be able to keep tank free of dinos.

With the uv it is very important to blow off your rocks or racks religiously evey nigh and have an in tank uv treatment so all that crap goes thru the UV sterilizer. UV will take care of Any type of Dinos as long as you get them in the water column.

Last edited:

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys watch the latest reefbum episode with Claude from Fauna Marin. He know ehat he is talking about.
I ended up not dosing more iron as I dose it everyday anyways via reef moonshiners method so I knew I was not deficient in it.

The take away is A capable uv sterilizer and some bacteria dosing( Fauna Marin Bacto balls) took care of the issue. The bacteria is more so of nutrients reduction in my case.

I believe I got Dinos because of the sudden stripping of nutrients . My no3 was 30ppm and I got it down to 9ppm and po4 was 0.2 and now it sits at 0.05.

As long as you balance out your system of nutrients and stop dosing bunch of additives and focus on your major element and just feed the tank well along side having a good filtration system that take it right out you should be able to keep tank free of dinos.

With the uv it is very important to blow off your rocks or racks religiously evey nigh and have an in tank uv treatment so all that crap goes thru the UV sterilizer. UV will take care of Any type of Dinos as long as you get them in the water column.

I'm so confused?!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I thought you said you had dinos and would treat it by dosing iron and let us know how it goes. UV is the current standard of treatment for Ostreopsis IMO.

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my iron got delayed. It will now be here tomorrow. Dinos are still going strong. Going to start dosing it and see what happens. Don't want to fork up the big bucks for UV just yet so I'm hoping this will suffice for now. If it doesn't work I will also try starting a refugium and dosing iron as all three of them that had success with iron either had a fuge or an algae scrubber too.

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

did the iron work? Or did it just help in supplementation with your UV?

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm so confused?!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I thought you said you had dinos and would treat it by dosing iron and let us know how it goes. UV is the current standard of treatment for Ostreopsis IMO.
Don't get confused buddy! I was about to add some iron but I forgot that I have it in an auto doser along with my other trace elements that I dose. So the iron is in my tank to begin with with the daily supplement I I still got dinos regardless.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
did the iron work? Or did it just help in supplementation with your UV?
I was dosing dinos all along via moonshiners iron supplement but that never stopped donos from showing face!
I cranked up the uv to 3 times my tank size and blew off the crap out of the dinos. I let let the in tank uv pump get the uv thru and you won't believe the difference it made overnight.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing dinos all along via moonshiners iron supplement but that never stopped donos from showing face!
I cranked up the uv to 3 times my tank size and blew off the crap out of the dinos. I let let the in tank uv pump get the uv thru and you won't believe the difference it made overnight.

Yes, over sized UV with low flow is the standard of care for Ostreopsis and Coolia dinos.

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing the TLF iron for a couple days now. It actually seems to be working to some extent. The Dino’s seem to be receding. I will continue to dose this slightly over the recommended dose and see if the recession continues

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, dosing Fe to get rid of Dinos is not a very high percentage play. The other direction (Fe limitation) is likelier.

I'd be more likely to believe that the small 2x daily doses of peroxide that some people have done oxidize and precipitate what little Fe is in the water, and lower the concentrations making it more limiting and slowing growth of dinos etc.

420reefer365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys had any luck? I am currently fighting Dinos with Dr. Tim’s waste away and re fresh. No success on day 8 so far.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Honestly all I did in the past is my frag tank was:

Syphoning the dinos and doing a water change.
Replace my filter socks every other day.
Use bacto balls from fauna main to seed some bacteria.
Does some silicate via kz sponge power.
It took care of the dinos in matter of a week for me.
You just need to keep on top of your husbandry. Dinos are always present in all tanks. Just what is the concentration is what makes them perish or flourish.

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had luck with this? I'm on moonshiners and saw my iron was pretty much depleted to nothing and I started to see Dinos show up...

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the UV flow rate at the higher end or the low end for Dinos?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back