Thoughts/Help on Diatoms

RollTideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RedSea 525XL has been up and running for three months now with relative success. It is 140 gallons with a skimmer, RedSea Reef 90 lights, and basic filter socks, nothing fancy. I have a medium sized Blue Hippo Tang, medium/small Purple Tang, medium/small Whitetail Bristletooth Tang, and four small clowns. All the fish have been in the tank for over 30 days and are doing great. The only real issue I have is diatoms. They constantly grow on my rocks and sand bed. I have the larger grain substrate Aragonite Special Grade. I have 10 turbos, a few Astrea Nails, 3 fighting Conchs, four shrimp, and a handful of hermits. I have heard conflicting information on the cause of diatoms. We always use RODI for water change and top off. I am very careful not to overfeed, my Nitrates almost never go over 5 and my Ammonia and Nitrite are 0. The company that services my tank loves big water changes but I only let them do a 20% change every two weeks. They are recommending sand sifting stars and some smaller snail species to combat the rocks. Will my tank eventually out grow this phase? Will more water changes make the diatoms better or worse? Any type of filtration I need to add?

I will attach a photo this evening of the diatoms. They coat individual grains of the substrate and are a brownish/greenish color in natural light. Under the blue lights they look darker and more dark brown. The algae is not hairy and is not in sheets. It will come off if rubbed hard enough but will not just blow off like dust either.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about nitrate and phosphate levels?
How much are you feeding?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I always wonder about the commitment and/or understanding levels when somebody has somebody else do tank maintenance. Not saying it's a bad thing, just that it makes me wonder.

OP
OP
R

RollTideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about nitrate and phosphate levels?
How much are you feeding?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I always wonder about the commitment and/or understanding levels when somebody has somebody else do tank maintenance. Not saying it's a bad thing, just that it makes me wonder.
Nitrate is very low, less than 5. I have a pretty good understand of the tank since my maintenance company is really not that impressive. All the guy does is empty and clean my skimmer, change out the filter socks, clean the glass and do a water change. Outside of that he really leaves the rest to me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back