• More

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are peoples thoughts on single chamber sumps? The immediate downside seems to be that you could flood the DT if the drains all get clogged.

otherwise it seems like it is a way to maximize the space for smaller sumps.

A custom tank builder I talked to recommended a single chamber design because it becomes cheaper when custom making it. Im curious about your thoughts.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank builder is correct. On my 120G display I have a 40G tank as a cryptic refugium. Live rocks and return pump are in single chamber sump. What else goes in your sump?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you have a single chamber sump custom built? Do you have u usual space constraints? At the very least 1 baffle before the return so the waterlevel is always constant for the skimmer and the ATO works in smaller increments rather than waitung for the entire sump to drop in level, which results in a bigger salinity swing

e: also chaeto will go everywhere and be a mess if it doesn't have its own chamber

Last edited:
OP
OP
OscarHaglund

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you have a single chamber sump custom built? Do you have u usual space constraints? At the very least 1 baffle before the return so the waterlevel is always constant for the skimmer and the ATO works in smaller increments rather than waitung for the entire sump to drop in level, which results in a bigger salinity swing

e: also chaeto will go everywhere and be a mess if it doesn't have its own chamber
This is pretty much why I’m asking.
I am considering a custom build because I don’t like the idea of rimless tank failure and bracing seems like it should solve that problem. As a result I have to also order a sump witht the tank and the builder suggested having a single container would cut costs since the labour of placing lots of baffles is whats going to drive costs

cghunter39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the downside to a single chamber you don’t force the water through certain areas of your filtration setup. Meaning the water can and usually will take the fastest and easiest route.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a custom build because I don’t like the idea of rimless tank failure and bracing seems like it should solve that problem. As a result I have to also order a sump witht the tank and the builder suggested having a single container would cut costs since the labour of placing lots of baffles is whats going to drive costs
You have to order a sump with the tank? Maybe go with a different builder then, that's unreasonable.

You know what would be cheaper? Buying a cheap standard sized tank that fits your stand from some big pet store and silicone a baffle or several yourself. Or don't, if you want to go single chamber.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only downside to single chamber sumps is micro bubbles.

Its how I run my QT system. No issues, just bubbles.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up going single chamber just buy a cheap tank the size you need instead of someone building you something. You will save a lot more money that way. Honestly sounds like you need 3 sections though. One for mechanical filtration and skimmer, one for fuge and the return section.

OP
OP
OscarHaglund

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to order a sump with the tank? Maybe go with a different builder then, that's unreasonable.

You know what would be cheaper? Buying a cheap standard sized tank that fits your stand from some big pet store and silicone a baffle or several yourself. Or don't, if you want to go single chamber.
No obviously I don’t need to buy it from them. But I do need a sump.
We don’t really have the kind of big pet store deals that you get in the US so it’s really not worth the minimal savings here.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No obviously I don’t need to buy it from them. But I do need a sump.
We don’t really have the kind of big pet store deals that you get in the US so it’s really not worth the minimal savings here.
I'm not in the US either. Unless you are in some remote place where fishkeeping isn't an established hobby, which i doubt if you have a custom builder around, there's going to be cheap low quality tanks somewhere. Ebay, Amazon, your LFS, the hardware store, hell you could use a plastic tub as a sump if money is tight.

Custom builds are for when you want special features, a customized package, a single chamber sump is the opposite of that. And if you want it because it'll look nicer, a single chamber sump with a skimmer that never works properly and chaeto going everywhere and clogging all the pumps won't look nice for long.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "more," since I like a sump to have 3 chambers. That can be done with 3-4 pieces of glass.
1st chamber is constant level and houses the skimmer.
2nd is fuge.
3rd is return.

If the builder wants an arm and a leg to add baffles, then get them from a glass shop and silicone them in place yourself.

Downsides to a single compartment have pretty much been covered.
Lack of constant level for skimmer.
No baffles to act as a bubble trap from skimmer and drains.
Fuge stuff getting into return pump.
Return pump will pump almost the entire volume of sump into display if drains get clogged.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back