Thoughts on a Fathead Sunburst Anthias in a 68gal?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after my 50gal broke that I was going to use, I think I've settled on a UNS 90U (68gals) to be my new Mixed Macro Algae Aquarium. Would a Fathead Sunburst Anthias be a good fit? Current stocking im pretty set on are:
•Caribbean Moustache Jawfish
•8 Longspine Cardinals
•A pair of OSFF
•Wrasse of some sort (still undecided)

There is going to be a dim lit space for the anthias and jawfish as they're both deeper water, tank size is the only concerning thing for me for the antbias since I think it would do well in a macro tank with a heavy stock of pods. Thoughts on it?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sunburst hangs out to the front in my sps tank so i don't see why not

is the concern about tank size? because i'd say they're fine in pretty much 20g+ they aren't very active compared to other anthias

i doubt it'll eat many pods unless pods are flying through the water. i've yet to see mine even look with interest at the rockwork

they're kinda deep water, but not that deep. bruce carlson has a video on youtube diving with them at 110' and fishbase lists their range as 15m - 75m

the jawfish might appreciate some cooler temps, though. idk how deep they come from

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sunburst hangs out to the front in my sps tank so i don't see why not

is the concern about tank size? because i'd say they're fine in pretty much 20g+ they aren't very active compared to other anthias

i doubt it'll eat many pods unless pods are flying through the water. i've yet to see mine even look with interest at the rockwork

they're kinda deep water, but not that deep. bruce carlson has a video on youtube diving with them at 110' and fishbase lists their range as 15m - 75m

the jawfish might appreciate some cooler temps, though. idk how deep they come from
Thank you! I didn't know they would do that well in that small of a tank. The jawfish is still up in the air, I just thought about it since KP Aquatics has them for $350 cheaper than LA. Although I heard they're good in 68°F water but im still not sure about that

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I didn't know they would do that well in that small of a tank. The jawfish is still up in the air, I just thought about it since KP Aquatics has them for $350 cheaper than LA. Although I heard they're good in 68°F water but im still not sure about that

you could try emailing kp to see how deep they got it from. they might be able to advise what temp would be best

i don't think they're super deep water divers so i'd venture to guess you could keep it in the mid 70s

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back