Thoughts on a pico tank.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am think if purchasing a pico tank from bulk reef supply. They have a great deal that is a $300 tank with everything else I get you started. It is a 4 gallon display. What fish can you really keep in that small of a tank? I have also heard that pico tanks can be hard to take care of.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything under 10 gal I would not keep any fish in. it's just too small and does not give them enough room to swim in.
as for care, I have 2 Pico tanks, a 1 Gal and a .4 gal. (both from PNW Custom) I have found them very easy to take are of. just do water changes religiously. my .4 gal has been thriving for a year now with a mushroom and a hammer.
my 1 gal has a mushroom, a small torch, a hammer, and cup coral ( can't remember what it's called) and everything is doing great. As long as you pay attention to it, its not hard at all.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently broke down a 4gallon pico. Doing 50% weekly water changes was easy and the only real maintenance it needed. I hated cleaning film algae off the glass and any minor changes can affect the water volume significantly.

Overall pretty fun but I don’t think I’d build another one anytime soon. Having a pico at work would be cool though haha

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently broke down a 4gallon pico. Doing 50% weekly water changes was easy and the only real maintenance it needed. I hated cleaning film algae off the glass and any minor changes can affect the water volume significantly.

Overall pretty fun but I don’t think I’d build another one anytime soon. Having a pico at work would be cool though haha
I am actually going to bring my .4 gal to put on my desk as work soon.

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1 gal small in one:
1692369935087.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep a shrimp or pair in there so that I could feed something to the tank, but no fish. Crabs and snails would be OK too if you can change water or otherwise supplement calcium and carbonate.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything under 10 gal I would not keep any fish in. it's just too small and does not give them enough room to swim in.
as for care, I have 2 Pico tanks, a 1 Gal and a .4 gal. (both from PNW Custom) I have found them very easy to take are of. just do water changes religiously. my .4 gal has been thriving for a year now with a mushroom and a hammer.
my 1 gal has a mushroom, a small torch, a hammer, and cup coral ( can't remember what it's called) and everything is doing great. As long as you pay attention to it, its not hard at all.
So you keep coral in your pico tanks.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep a shrimp or pair in there so that I could feed something to the tank, but no fish. Crabs and snails would be OK too if you can change water or otherwise supplement calcium and carbonate.
Peppermint shrimp or skunk cleaner?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral banded, sexy shrimp... whatever. They will usually stay out in the open if there are not fish after them all of the time.

You need to get some ammonia to the corals, so feeding shrimp and crabs is a good way to do this.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of building/setting up a 3 gallon pico myself, I've been having a lot of fun just planning the dang thing and thinking about what I'd keep in it. Nifty shrimps, rock flower anemones, some softies, some LPS. Maybe, maybe a single blue neon goby. I've seen a lot of examples of these sized tanks flourishing with little more than good consistent water changes.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of building/setting up a 3 gallon pico myself, I've been having a lot of fun just planning the dang thing and thinking about what I'd keep in it. Nifty shrimps, rock flower anemones, some softies, some LPS. Maybe, maybe a single blue neon goby. I've seen a lot of examples of these sized tanks flourishing with little more than good consistent water changes.
Awesome dude. It is always so fun planning and setting up new tanks. I might have to get a blue neon goby for the 4 gallon I am thinking of getting

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a .4 gallon pico i water change it every week I don’t have any livestock beside spaghetti worms and bristle worms lol , I have GSP and a favia in it
Are spaghetti and bristle worlds bad? How do you get them?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back