Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gordon Marvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’m all right with the ban yellow tang‘s can be bought captive bred although they are expensive and then the two other desirable ones convict and Achilles tanks can be bought from other areas whether not as depleted.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The changes in collection are too recent to have impacted the retail price.
It’s just your retailer pigging out on the news.

Prices in our business are set by what YOU will pay.
If you won’t pay that, then we MUST lower the price.
Don’t be fooled, margins in this business are great.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Governmental environmental regulations are extremely important. Not to mention the other services that government provides (schools, medicare/medicaid, social security, roads, 911, police/fire services, welfare assistance, regulations on business, etc.)
And for what they charge us in taxes isn't worth those services I live in California and its kinda a ****hole roads are terrible for what we pay in all these taxes most of us will never get social security welfare meh I know plenty of healthy able people that don't wanna work because its too easy to live on welfare

Reeflifeaquatics2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under ther impression the shutdown was more of a compliance shutdown, where the government was making sure the companies were doing the right thing and making sure everything is up to date, and there were doing counts of species on the reef. Is this completely false?

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people like to watch the world burn
Just saying, a total ban is way over the top (even if the fish populations are threatened) - so thus I demonize the State of Hawaii for going too far. They could have just placed some limits (as our NC Wildlife department does) to protect the fish populations, that would have done just fine to both protect the fish and ensure that the aquarium fish business wasn't damaged.

green behind the ears

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying, a total ban is way over the top (even if the fish populations are threatened) - so thus I demonize the State of Hawaii for going too far. They could have just placed some limits (as our NC Wildlife department does) to protect the fish populations, that would have done just fine to both protect the fish and ensure that the aquarium fish business wasn't damaged.
Trouble is these governments make knee jerk reactions without thinking of the long term implications...... I quickly got the last one in my Lfs and they’ve now shot up in price ,I hope the little git doesn’t die as he might be worth a fortune

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not for or against the ban but I will say that in 1974 I dove on a few of the Hawaiian Islands and they were full of fish, including yellow tangs, and corals.

I dove on some of the outer Islands a few years ago and it was pitiful. There was almost nothing in the water and I don't even remember seeing the most common fish there, yellow tangs. Corals were almost all destroyed by serpent stars and it was my least favorable dives.
If I go back to Hawaii (not likely) I won't dive there.

These were off I think Molaki Hawaii and Lanai

A spotted moray amid dead seaweed
Hair algae

Many Moorish Idols because they live on that dying growth that is everywhere

Looks like a sea urchin farm with little growth or corals.

This was Bora Bora in Tahiti 6,000 miles away which is still loaded with corals and fish. But very few people live in Tahiti.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for ending wild capture, really puts pressure on the reefing hobby to up captive breeding efforts, which should have been a focus years ago. After tangs we need wrasses to be captive bred.
Also i doubt captive breeding would hurt the hobby, making some more difficult fish more domesticated and the potential for new colours sounds good to me.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish that they would start putting even more harsh bans on the fishing trade, I'd ever be for a worldwide shut down of that industry. Makes finding illegal fishing boats easier when every fishing boat is illegal.

mrrealmadrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years in the making. I used to get flame wrasses, crosshatch triggers, dwarf morays, dragon eels and the like fedexed to my house 10 years ago. I knew that eventually they would shut it all down.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a general rule i have not been one to keep fish and organisms i couldn't make reproduce in my care so the lack of fish is not going to effect me personally. but i don't believe the government truly keeps natures best interests at heart

Sea Witch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much time spent arguing on this post...the facts about the so called ban were the only thing missing. Should have been a red-flag when the initial claim of a "complete ban" was introduced... I guess one can find whatever they want to find when reading to be contrary instead of informative. Be nice if some more of us looked into things instead of following what "folks" say.... like sheep.

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ban will not stop people from having reef tanks.
So do you guys think this Hawaii fish ban is the beginning of the end to the reef hobby
This aint the end of the hobby but it will be for some who do not want to spend the money. This will hurt coral vendors as people leave the hobby

Just thought I would add my 2 cents. I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my upgrade to a 150 gallon tank. The only reason I wanted a 60" long tank was to keep tangs. So this means, no money spent to SCA, no new sump, no new lights, and so on... I imagine this ban is going to hurt everyone in the hobby and the industry. I mean, it really has let all the air out of my balloon. I'm depressed and not sure what I'm going to do.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not positive but I think the ban will only stop Kole, Yellow, and Achilles tangs. And you'll still be able to get bred Yellows.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back