Thoughts on Reef Aquascaping

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm a transplant from the freshwater side. Although much smaller than the saltwater side, the FW folks are leagues ahead in aquascaping. Granted, they have it easier. However, there is no reason why the same principals don't apply in SW.

For example, the iwagumi style is a very popular aquascaping style. You can see it here depicted in a reef:

Iwagumi-29-2.jpg

Are any of you using similar principals with your aquascapes?

Best,

Art

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm a transplant from the freshwater side. Although much smaller than the saltwater side, the FW folks are leagues ahead in aquascaping. Granted, they have it easier. However, there is no reason why the same principals don't apply in SW.

For example, the iwagumi style is a very popular aquascaping style. You can see it here depicted in a reef:

Iwagumi-29-2.jpg

Best,

Art
I came up with a really cool new style of aquascaping, but I'm not sharing my secret until I get my tank ;Smuggrin

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Iwagumi-29-2.jpg

Best,

Art
What size is this tank?....and where can I find a Naso that small?! :)

I love the look. Extremely minimal on live rock. I'd imagine the sumps got some bio-blocks or a bunch of live rock? Plenty of snails and the two fish serve purposes, clams as well.

Very cool nano but walking the knife for sure IMO.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Iwagumi-29-2.jpg

Best,

Art
Those colors are eye popping beautiful!

But the tank is so empty?

Liverock gives an additional base color running throughout the tank to tie it all together. And some structure for the corals to grow up from naturally.

It sort of looks like you dumped a bunch of beautiful mini colonies in an empty tank?

While you certainly need negative space to accent the positive space, I continue to fail to warm up to these empty tanks.
[emoji53]

I think they are also a disservice to the fish living in them.
[emoji53]

Clearly it may be my fault for not appreciating something beautiful.
The individual corals certainly are beautiful!
But please educate me on why this display is something you would brag about?

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those colors are eye popping beautiful!

But the tank is so empty?

Liverock gives an additional base color running throughout the tank to tie it all together. And some structure for the corals to grow up from naturally.

It sort of looks like you dumped a bunch of beautiful mini colonies in an empty tank?

While you certainly need negative space to accent the positive space, I continue to fail to warm up to these empty tanks.
[emoji53]

I think they are also a disservice to the fish living in them.
[emoji53]

Clearly it may be my fault for not appreciating something beautiful.
The individual corals certainly are beautiful!
But please educate me on why this display is something you would brag about?

Hi and thanks for the comment. Certainly your opinion on any tank is valid. There are different opinions on beauty.

I personally appreciate the bonsai tank for its attempt to try something different in a reef setting and for following the rules of a 5 stone iwagumi style. I also like minimalist scapes so it plays to my likings.

I posted that aquascape because it's an example where someone was "intentionally" using aquascaping principals and a style in a reef setting. My point is that most aquascapes in the reef aquarium fall into either rock walls or interesting rock shapes but lack the application of sound visual arts principals such as focal points, rule of thirds or the golden ratio, dynamic triangles, perspective, scale, etc.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on which types of freshwater aquascaping you are talking about. I came from the freshwater planted tank side also........I have seen some very well done macro algae SW (although immediately not nearly as effective) tanks that actually look similar to those FW tanks like these......
macros.jpg

I have also seen iwagumi style SW tanks in the form of Bommies....similar to this.........

bommie.jpg

I guess the only types of tanks that would be difficult are the ones that try to duplicate above ground scenes, like forests with running rivers.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for the comment. Certainly your opinion on any tank is valid. There are different opinions on beauty.

I personally appreciate the bonsai tank for its attempt to try something different in a reef setting and for following the rules of a 5 stone iwagumi style. I also like minimalist scapes so it plays to my likings.

I posted that aquascape because it's an example where someone was "intentionally" using aquascaping principals and a style in a reef setting. My point is that most aquascapes in the reef aquarium fall into either rock walls or interesting rock shapes but lack the application of sound visual arts principals such as focal points, rule of thirds or the golden ratio, dynamic triangles, perspective, scale, etc.
Thank you
[emoji846]

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2018-10-16_04-47-29 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
This is still a work in progress but my tank has 3 different levels. I am hoping as the macros and coral grow that it will look authentic.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have currently started to rethink how I set my rockwork. Stability is always a must. My next thought is the lowering of stress in my fish. I have noticed that my larger fish seem to like caves with a sandy bottom. And if my tang and regals are happy.........Then I am happy. Anyone else notice this? I do enjoy looking at the awesome things some of you rock artists do. Keep them coming!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back