Thoughts on stocking 10% live rock and 90% Marca dry rock for 350 liter?

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello r2r. live rock is very expensive, so I was wondering if this is worth it ?
I will also get dry sand.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think live rock is 100% worth it but that's up to you if you want to suffer having pest algae all over your rocks go dry if u want nice clean looking rocks go live

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My last tank was all live rock from my LFS. It was nothing more than dry rock running in a vat for who knows how long. All they did was put bottled bacteria in there and sell it for 6.99-8.99 per pound. What a waste of money. The rocks went thru the ugle stage just like the dry rock maybe slightly better.

My newest tank is going with 100% live rock that was maricultured from Florida. The difference is pretty extreme. The real live rocks offers all kinds of living organisms where the LFS live rock was just completely devoided of life other than bacteria that i can't even see.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last tank was all live rock from my LFS. It was nothing more than dry rock running in a vat for who knows how long. All they did was put bottled bacteria in there and sell it for 6.99-8.99 per pound. What a waste of money. The rocks went thru the ugle stage just like the dry rock maybe slightly better.

My newest tank is going with 100% live rock that was maricultured from Florida. The difference is pretty extreme. The real live rocks offers all kinds of living organisms where the LFS live rock was just completely devoided of life other than bacteria that i can't even see.
Exactly...that's why I always differentiate between real ocean live rock and LFS bottled bac live rock...it's not even close to the same thing

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one observation from tank transfer last year -- used roughly 50/50 live vs dry rock:
-- Aqua-cultured live rock probably not even from the ocean but was fully encrusted with coralline when purchased (((had it now in my tanks for over a year)))
-- New dry/white rock (((Not truly Marco rock but looks the same)))

Currently, roughly 7-8 months since tank transfer:
-- Pockets of GHA have been sprouting up on the dry rock structure for a few months
-- Zero speck of GHA on the live rock structure

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one observation from tank transfer last year -- used roughly 50/50 live vs dry rock:
-- Aqua-cultured live rock probably not even from the ocean but was fully encrusted with coralline when purchased (((had it now in my tanks for over a year)))
-- New dry/white rock (((Not truly Marco rock but looks the same)))

Currently, roughly 7-8 months since tank transfer:
-- Pockets of GHA have been sprouting up on the dry rock structure for a few months
-- Zero speck of GHA on the live rock structure
Exactly! I only got the uglys on the dry caribsea rock. After a year you could not tell the difference between the two.
The caribsea will not show the uglys as bad as dry white rock.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 90% dry rock and just a couple really mature rocks from a previous tank in all of my builds and it worked out great. The initial cycle and ugly phase takes longer, but it allowed me to get a really nice aquascape that wasn't just a haphazard pile of rocks. The small number of fully mature rocks seeded the dry rock with a variety of worms, copepods, sponges, etc and within 1 year the coraline, sponges, critters, etc had covered all the other rocks to the point that even a veteran aquarist could not tell which one was the live rock and which were dry. Even 6 months in it was pretty hard to tell.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is never zero sum game.
The luxury would be able to have a completely decked out from the gulf/keys scape is something that we should all aspire to. In my opinion the secondary benefits of the other organisms on that fresh from the water rock helps the tank along tremendously. 5050, or 6040 is better than zero.
Six months from now I don’t think that you will regret the extra expense.

18 months and 12 months into my two tanks I just recently added a couple of softball sized pieces and I can feel the benefit from them. Even see a little bit.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 90% dry rock and just a couple really mature rocks from a previous tank in all of my builds and it worked out great. The initial cycle and ugly phase takes longer, but it allowed me to get a really nice aquascape that wasn't just a haphazard pile of rocks. The small number of fully mature rocks seeded the dry rock with a variety of worms, copepods, sponges, etc and within 1 year the coraline, sponges, critters, etc had covered all the other rocks to the point that even a veteran aquarist could not tell which one was the live rock and which were dry. Even 6 months in it was pretty hard to tell.
Excellent point on aquascaping in advance -- if going with dry rock, plan and build the scape in advance!!!

*meant to but,,, uhhh,,, got lazy and went "heat of the moment", haphazard, rock pile for my dry rock side of the tank. (Recently tore it down for more open space with more horizontal room to mount corals but had to do that all in tank which is,,, obviously,,, less than ideal)

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent point on aquascaping in advance -- if going with dry rock, plan and build the scape in advance!!!

*meant to but,,, uhhh,,, got lazy and went "heat of the moment", haphazard, rock pile for my dry rock side of the tank. (Recently tore it down for more open space with more horizontal room to mount corals but had to do that all in tank which is,,, obviously,,, less than ideal)
Check out my build thread linked above for an example. You can make some really cool dry rock aquascape in a few hours with a bottle of glue masters thin or bob smith instaset and some dry rock crushes into a powder to tac weld rock together. Goes much faster than the BRS NSA videos but ends with the same result (really heavy joints use 2 part epoxy putty and cover with the powder/glue to make it dissappear)

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget also plays a factor. Live rock is great but not everyone can afford 70 pounds of 14$/pound rock. And you shouldn't feel guilty for that either.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Considering what we pay for all the gear , it's a small price to pay for premium rocks. Here's my invoice for the Package from TBS. 80 pounds total. 40 lbs base, 40 lbs premium live rocks . critters, and live sand.

1653238708387.png

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 63 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back