Thoughts on the new BRS? (ECOTECH, NEPTUNE, MARINE DEPOT, BRS)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be ok and not much to worry about, especially if Ecotech is operated as it's own company.

It could be a bummer if birtram doesn't let them innovate they way they have, and takes forever to get anything to market. This happened when spectrum brands bought marineland/perfecto, it takes them years to get products to market, and they are behind the curve when the products do come out.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having just come back to the hobby this year these brands are still relatively new to me. I hope we will see more synergy, equipment that will work across these brands, better packages, etc. I fear however that most times these capital groups take over we see a drop in customer service and quality as they look for ways to make more money.

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts depend on the person.

Personally, it's bad. Too many different companies over just the last decade you can point to and see how things like this worked out.

It's been mentioned many times in the other posts, "If you don't have competition then ideas stagnate and prices go up."
If no one is available to challenge BRS then where do you go for a better price, product or experience? ‍♂️

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping that there is some ethics to it. Of course they will end I using similar parts across the board. Though brs does a lot of testing. Perhaps better quality control.

Trying to be optimistic. Ive never seen such a large scale buyout in this industry. It will be interesting to see the integration.

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be fine, honestly, BRS and its youtube channel have done more good for reefing than anything else I can think of. Someone was going to buy these companies, just be glad it wasn't petco.

If they do muck it up, it happens, someone will come into the space and replace them, there are a lot of smart people with reef tanks and connected devices just aren't as complicated as they used to be.

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan, mostly due to competition.

I assume many people will be happy if ecotech products are again neptune compatible. And I can see the benefit in the short run. However, if the development continues (or should I say, had continued) in the direction of the products not being compatible, it would have forced both companies to innovate and maybe given us true alternatives to each other (ecotech developed control systems, or the new sky lights as examples). This type of competiton is what drives innovation. If this development ends because they are under the same umbrella, then it wouldn't be so good for the evolution of the hobby.

Of course the extra spending power and combined brains may bring some new innovation.

The other problem is exposure and market share. While its true that non of these is a giant company, they are all pretty big players in the aquarium industry, so their capacity for influence only grows bigger, which could make it more difficult to enter the market or for other brands to get the same level of exposure.

On thing I'm curious is the effect on a more global scale. Its clear the American market is the biggest by some margin, and most of this acquisitions target the American market. Interesting to see how it influences other markets and brands.
I think part of the equation will come down to how much it remains the individuals at BRS, Neptune and Ecotech to decide the direction they want to take, and how much is Bertram capital

I hope it turns out to be good thing for the hobby in the long run.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying out companies laterally can be beneficial. A good example is Oshkosh Corporation. The innovations brought to the JLTV for military use were transferred to Pierce fire and response vehicles (namely the axel system that allows for large stable trucks). Without combined ownership, this type of innovation would be considered proprietary and not shared with other similar companies.

On the other hand, there is the argument that creating a large product base can have adverse affects on suppressing the ability of new start ups to come to market. Unless there are buyers willing to take a chance on a new company, they will usually opt for the name brand.

So as with everything, I think there are two sides to it and both are valid arguments.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Not happy I wont be able to buy Radions anymore. That was in the plan for my new tank, but guess i can make lemonade. Since i use GHL controllers and dosers, and SWA.com now carries GHL, looks like the Mitras goes on my new tank when it gets here.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh. Not happy I wont be able to buy Radions anymore. That was in the plan for my new tank, but guess i can make lemonade. Since i use GHL controllers and dosers, and SWA.com now carries GHL, looks like the Mitras goes on my new tank when it gets here.

After owning both, you couldn't give me a Mitras or anything GHL for that matter at this point. Never had such a poor experience trying to get equipment setup and running. To be fair, I sold the Radions too lol. Mobius is a little too buggy IMO. The hardwre of the Mitras was fantastic though. The light it put out looked great!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As for the original topic, I see no issues here. I also trust Ryan and the team over there. People act like BRS is at fault over all this. Yet, it was MD that decided to sell, Neptune that was obviously looking to sell/merge, and Ecotech who wanted in on the whole thing.

My understanding is each company is still being independently run and will be for quite a while. I do happen to have some sources pretty close to the whole thing and I trust them.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, good for them in one sense; but at the same time it could be dangerous. If BRS owns the whole market they can price and do whatever they want. *shrug*

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned about the Rockefeller oil monopoly incident in history class…this is NOT good.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After owning both, you couldn't give me a Mitras or anything GHL for that matter at this point. Never had such a poor experience trying to get equipment setup and running. To be fair, I sold the Radions too lol. Mobius is a little too buggy IMO. The hardwre of the Mitras was fantastic though. The light it put out looked great!
Ive never had issues with my GHL products, controllers and dosers or Mobius running 7 Radions and 6 Vortechs

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed feelings about the whole situation, especially with the rumored attempt at buying out Innovative Marine at the same time.

On the one hand, I can see the makings of a true all-in-one solution to a reef tank in a box - for one price, you get a tank, stand, sump, return pump, protein skimmer, lights, water movement and controller, all in one package that is designed to work together seamlessly and be controlled from your phone or PC. Buy the package, add your salt, water, sand and rock, and you're ready to go.

On the other hand, private equity has a way of taking companies, extracting all the value from them, depositing that value into the pockets of the shareholders, and leaving the companies as husks of their former selves, destroyed by mismanagement and bad practices and rent-seeking behavior. And generally speaking I'm not a fan of consolidation within any industry, as it tends to lead to stagnation, arrogance, and anti-customer activity.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I feel about this. An aquarium supply company buys out the vendors of the products they sell, which ultimately reduces their costs. More profit for them which is fine except they aren’t passing any of those savings on to the customers. If they were, I’d be happy about it. I think I’m gonna try buying from aquacave. Their points rewards are better anyways.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back