Thoughts on the new BRS? (ECOTECH, NEPTUNE, MARINE DEPOT, BRS)

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for a company that was purchased by a venture capital group. Now, we are on the tail end, and the investors want their return on the investment. So we have filed to go public. So they leaned out the company, and most of the funds generated from the IPO goes to the investors, and we go out on our own, but stripped down. Thats how it works.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It can be negative with them having a monopoly on the market. They will be able to set the price which is already ridiculous.
So let's say this happens and all Neptune/Ecotech products double in the next 12 months....does this help or hurt Bertram/BRS? You think sales stay at the same, all time record highs? Or do people start looking at other (usually better) options that are cheaper?

All in the process of doing this Ryan taints his name and reputation. Hours of video are out there where Ryan specifically states prices need to come down in the hobby. The current price hikes aren't from BRS or Bertram. The vast majority is from shipping and then throw in a dash of supply shortages.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's say this happens and all Neptune/Ecotech products double in the next 12 months....does this help or hurt Bertram/BRS? You think sales stay at the same, all time record highs? Or do people start looking at other (usually better) options that are cheaper?

All in the process of doing this Ryan taints his name and reputation. Hours of video are out there where Ryan specifically states prices need to come down in the hobby. The current price hikes aren't from BRS or Bertram. The vast majority is from shipping and then throw in a dash of supply shortages.
They can think what they want about prices, and may feel they are two high. But it come down to the share holder and profit. I could be wrong and time will tell.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last word comes down to Bertram. They expect a return on their investment. Its what they do. Im going to lose it if in the board room, its decided that Mobius becomes a subscription service.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I am hoping for the best, I sold my Radions and asked BRS to close my account. Although this could be something fantastic for the reefing hobby, it is more likely than not that this will be a net negative. Voting with my wallet instead of a tweet.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize Ryan in the gang want to advance the hobby, but reality check from those of us that work in the corporate world is it all comes down to the operating statement. And Ryan and crew are no longer final say. Venture capital groups dont care what feild your business your in. They are in it for the return on investment, so while the goal may be growing the hobby and success in it, the folks holding the purse strings can and will squash ideas that dont fit their financial goals. Oh, and rats already jumping ship is not a good sign. Some on air “talent” , gone, Marine Depot employees, gone, Terrance from Neptune, gone…….

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people forget that BRS hasn't bought anything. Bertram has. These aquisitions are not at the hand of BRS and BRS really has no say with what is done with any of them. Sure Bertram might lean on Ryan for a little advice with what to do. But the reality is, at the end of the day it's up to the shareholders.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be the first to admit that I'm naïve. I know nothing about corporate mergers, investment capitol, etc... Just seems to me that each of these companies have made these decisions to partner in the hopes of advancing the group. There are a lot of reefers involved that know and care about the hobby and hobbyist. At the end of the day, it's in the best interest of everyone involved (even investors) to sustain and advance the hobby. Providing products and innovations that reefers can and will purchase is the way to do that. It's my hope that that is what we'll see going forward.

Like I said. I'm naïve.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been a fan of big business, BUT, it is what it is. We just have to live with it and move on. We just have to hope that it does further the hobby and science of the hobby to help out the oceans survival. Done right, this can have a great impact, for the best, to our hobby. We just have to hope it does. I will not sell my Radions, MP pumps, and Versa's because of this.

I work for a company that is owned by an investment group, and it sticks. I know that I have no say in it, so, I just go to work.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS matches BRS prices for me and I give them the business. Especially big ticket items. BRS does have a wholesale outlet for LFS's and they do use them for some items. Free enterprise. I'm happy for BRS, success is good and the are successful.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people forget that BRS hasn't bought anything. Bertram has. These aquisitions are not at the hand of BRS and BRS really has no say with what is done with any of them. Sure Bertram might lean on Ryan for a little advice with what to do. But the reality is, at the end of the day it's up to the shareholders.
There are no shareholders, because there are no shares. They are stakeholders, and typically, they hold for a few years, and sell off, or go public and take their profits after the IPO.

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of you losing your minds and canceling your BRS accounts and selling your Radions are wild. Full stop. This is Cavaliers fans burning their LeBron James jerseys level

These are brands that are already at the top of the field. This will be a net gain for the industry. It opens up market share for other companies to develop as two major competitors are essentially on the same side now. it also allows EcoTech to actually BEGIN to innovate again as they aren’t just trying to keep up with demand. New resources, more capital.

This isn’t the 1900’s where anti-trust laws didn’t exist. You can fear for the companies themselves future I guess but the industry isn’t going to nosedive into “there’s only 3 companies now” territory.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no shareholders, because there are no shares. They are stakeholders, and typically, they hold for a few years, and sell off, or go public and take their profits after the IPO.

I stand corrected, I had thought Bertram was publicly traded. Regardless, my main point was that BRS doesn't own any of these companies, Bertram does. So people saying BRS is getting too big really isn't true because they haven't grown much at all. And these investment firms are only looking for big returns on there investments, which typically means a loss for the Consumer and Employees in the end.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Venture capital doesnt care what your business is or where the direction of your industry is going. They are not an aquarium hobby business, a sporting goods business, an underwear business or a healthcare business. They are investors. They invest, work with you, to increase the value of your business, then unload you to get their money back with a handsome gain. And it usually only lasts for a few years, where they sell you off, or you go public and they take proceeds from the IPO. I know everyone beleives Ryan is their bud, and he would never steer you wrong, but when Bertram makes their move, he has no say. I work for a company owned by a venture capital group, and we are currently in our way out. We filed with the SEC to go public in a few months.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many folks giving opinions on this don’t actually understand what is going on. For the non corporate or fiscal folks. This is a short term investment that will probably last less time than your car payments, then Bertram will take their profits and peace out. They can break up and sell off the peices (like Richard Gere in Pretty Woman) or go public and take profits from the IPO. Bertram beleives in these companies for a few years until they can take profits. Bertram DOESNT CARE ABOUT REEFING. THEIR BUSINESS IS MONEY.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Venture capital doesnt care what your business is or where the direction of your industry is going. They are not an aquarium hobby business, a sporting goods business, an underwear business or a healthcare business. They are investors. They invest, work with you, to increase the value of your business, then unload you to get their money back with a handsome gain. And it usually only lasts for a few years, where they sell you off, or you go public and they take proceeds from the IPO. I know everyone beleives Ryan is their bud, and he would never steer you wrong, but when Bertram makes their move, he has no say. I work for a company owned by a venture capital group, and we are currently in our way out. We filed with the SEC to go public in a few months.
So you’re saying there’s no evidence of venture capital being a good thing for ANY BUSINESS in history, because your Company didn’t….

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand corrected, I had thought Bertram was publicly traded. Regardless, my main point was that BRS doesn't own any of these companies, Bertram does. So people saying BRS is getting too big really isn't true because they haven't grown much at all. And these investment firms are only looking for big returns on there investments, which typically means a loss for the Consumer and Employees in the end.
And before they sell, or go public, you make the business look good by slashing payroll.

All these wait and see folks thing Bertram is interested in reefing. Ryan may be, but hes no longer the final say

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many folks giving opinions on this don’t actually understand what is going on. For the non corporate or fiscal folks. This is a short term investment that will probably last less time than your car payments, then Bertram will take their profits and peace out. They can break up and sell off the peices (like Richard Gere in Pretty Woman) or go public and take profits from the IPO. Bertram beleives in these companies for a few years until they can take profits. Bertram DOESNT CARE ABOUT REEFING. THEIR BUSINESS IS MONEY.
What business isn’t about money? I’m in the same kind of position/business as you. It isn’t always a bad or nefarious thing.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of you losing your minds and canceling your BRS accounts and selling your Radions are wild. Full stop. This is Cavaliers fans burning their LeBron James jerseys level

These are brands that are already at the top of the field. This will be a net gain for the industry. It opens up market share for other companies to develop as two major competitors are essentially on the same side now. it also allows EcoTech to actually BEGIN to innovate again as they aren’t just trying to keep up with demand. New resources, more capital.

This isn’t the 1900’s where anti-trust laws didn’t exist. You can fear for the companies themselves future I guess but the industry isn’t going to nosedive into “there’s only 3 companies now” territory.
No..if it was that level, I would go out and bash the lights with a bat. That is not what I am saying or doing at all. I am in fact passing on the lights to those who still want to be a part of the Ecotech world and let them enjoy the lights...because they are still good lights. I am just making the market based decision that I don't like the direction. If I am the only one..I am sure BRS will survive. If enough people voice their concern, maybe BRS will take notice and do something / change their course to provide some levels of comfort to their current clients.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back