Thoughts on Waterbox v Red Sea equipment

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mikeltee,
I am looking at GlassCages with an external coast to coast overflow. The rear of the tank will be in a fish room so 6" protrusion is a non issue. The tank will be in excess of 200gals. Is your preference for an internal overflow based on a space issue or are there any other factors? I messaged Joe at GlassCages and he advised build time is 8 to 12 weeks. Any input on GC tanks?
All the best
Dan

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Mikeltee,
I am looking at GlassCages with an external coast to coast overflow. The rear of the tank will be in a fish room so 6" protrusion is a non issue. The tank will be in excess of 200gals. Is your preference for an internal overflow based on a space issue or are there any other factors? I messaged Joe at GlassCages and he advised build time is 8 to 12 weeks. Any input on GC tanks?
All the best
Dan
@Joe Glass Cages at GlassCages is a pleasure to work with and their tanks are built like "tanks". Also have had good luck with Planet Aquariums.

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on what you decided on? I’m having the same debate. I’d buy IM hands down but can’t do 30 inch width

OP
OP
logibear

logibear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to go with WB reef 190.5. Main reason is I don't have a huge desire to buy all of the gear piecemeal and the equipment you get with their packages is high quality and also comes with a bit of a discount. Think I'm also going with TBS sand and rock @LiverockRocks , even though not super excited about having to aquascape underwater :grimacing-face: Ultimately going to be waiting for Blue/Black Friday sales cause at this price 15% is not a small amount.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 170 G1 and a reefer 300 g2. I started to fill my new WB 330.7 last night. I did not go with any extra equipment on any of them just tank, stand, sump and plumbing. They both have the front panel hanging off of the stand. I have no problem with with redsea but I wanted a tank with a 84x30" foot print and RS doesn't make one so I went with WB. I also didn't want to go custom because I didn't feel like going all of the plumbing this time around.
EDIT WB customer service has been very responsive answering all questions I've asked via email. I've not used RS support.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I am going to go with WB reef 190.5. Main reason is I don't have a huge desire to buy all of the gear piecemeal and the equipment you get with their packages is high quality and also comes with a bit of a discount. Think I'm also going with TBS sand and rock @LiverockRocks , even though not super excited about having to aquascape underwater :grimacing-face: Ultimately going to be waiting for Blue/Black Friday sales cause at this price 15% is not a small amount.
Looking forward to your build!
Ryan used Maxspect silicone-based epoxy, BRS extra thick super glue and Insta-set accelerator when aquascaping with TBS rock. We have yet to experiment with it, think I'll order some now.
Regarding sales, it's our 40th year anniversary, so I anticipate M & J doing something special for it. tbd.

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Personally, after seeing complaints of leaking seams with readsea generation 1 tanks, which is caused by a bowing of the stand's top panel, I went with SCA because the stand is made of maple plywood and it's pre-built with glued panels, unlike others which are particleboard with ikea-like assembly. Not to mention SCA was cheaper. To be fair--I heard redsea fixed the issue at some point (added a center support stud), and I've heard nothing but great things about waterbox.

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current choice as well. I was debating between 150 or 190 but am leaning 190 for more tangs! Lol

I’ll also be waiting for a sale

OP
OP
logibear

logibear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to your build!
Ryan used Maxspect silicone-based epoxy, BRS extra thick super glue and Insta-set accelerator when aquascaping with TBS rock. We have yet to experiment with it, think I'll order some now.
Regarding sales, it's our 40th year anniversary, so I anticipate M & J doing something special for it. tbd.
Can’t wait to see what all you ladies do this year for the anniversary. Not even lying when I say that I think I’m more excited about my tbs sand and rock than anything else

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully realize this topic is very much backed with a lot of negative comments (and justifiably so), but is anyone HAPPY with a G2 series Red Sea system?

Over in the Red Sea FB group I see tons of people raving on the "Newer Version" but that's a very "partial" crowd.

OP
OP
logibear

logibear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard anything bad about the second generation but ultimately you have to ask yourself if you want to take that risk. If you are ok with the risk then go for it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back