Throwing away coral? When to draw the line?

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me be straight first: I would hate to have to throw away any coral.

The problem:
So I am currently debating on what to do. I have been building a GSP wall, but now it has come time to remove the original colony (at the foot). My coral collection has reached a point where I have to consider the space of all the corals to allow for healthy growth. The GSP was my first ever coral and it was a fantastic experience learning to keep it, but the tank is outgrowing it. I will still keep the wall and maintain it.

I have put it for sale for cheap a few month back, no answer. But now I was considering giving it away. However, would that not be a disservice to the community? Especially the hard hit LFS ? I have a good relationship with all the owners and want to respect their small market.

I purposely put a controversial title to get attention on the topic, but for now I will not throw the coral away.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could always give it to the LFS. They have more potential buyers than you.

I think if you were giving away a large number of free corals, or rare ones, you could potentially run into a problem. But I don't think giving away a piece of GSP is going to do any harm to the local market.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than harming the market, I am thinking about respecting their trade.

I will talk to my LFS.
I agree, you should ask your LFS if you can turn it in for store credit. That’s what I do with my gsp/Birdsnest/low end zoas/cheato etc if I find I have too much. It probably won’t be a ton of store credit but if you keep turning it in it builds up quick :)

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple of rocks covered in xenia. I couldn't sell it even though I priced it cheap. I ended up listing it for free and it was gone in a day.

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s free send it my way I’m in south NJ anyone feel free to gift me any over growths needing loving homes lol see my trash can budget reef build I have two threads just started second cycle with fish coral lamps should be here sunday. How cool would it be if the entire group of super awesome overly generous did I say super awesome? Cause I ment it! totally RAD peeps added even one micro frag....it’s a 135g old school big heavy glass not drilled anywhere style tank...That would make an awesome thread! Who’s down?

Last edited by a moderator:

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did they censor tiny butt or bad butt I forget which I typed lol that’s so cute lol just noticed they do that my bad don’t mean to offend I like it here

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id offer it to the lfs for credit .
Or even give to someone new to the hobby .

cheap , easy to grow corals are getting hard to find .
I’m in the same position with cheap green palys . For years I couldn’t keep or grow palys ,
This colony has taken off and spread everywhere .
I was looking into options to thin the colony a little .
Also have Xenia , gsp that all need to be cut back .
Only if acros grew that fast .

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call your LFS first and see if they will take it (they take lots of specimens every day, so a quick phone call before you head out is best). Otherwise, give it away. Lacking that and as a final option, I do not feel bad about trimming coral that already grows like a weed, especially if it's encroaching on something else.

Last edited:

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I really don't think you should be worried about giving it away I always post free stuff on reef2reef I wish someone helped me out with free coral when I Started. The money that the person was going to spend on the coral you gave them will be spent on a different piece.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started I bought a GSP frag for something ridiculous like $35 and a Xenia frag for $25. Give it away to new reefers for free or trade for store credit. This hobby is expensive enough.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started I bought a GSP frag for something ridiculous like $35 and a Xenia frag for $25. Give it away to new reefers for free or trade for store credit. This hobby is expensive enough.
Truth! I paid $25 for GSP before I knew anything! Now I give it away or trade for other easy softies. Ive given away so much xenia I cant even tell you... Made a new friend out of it though and now he has a beautiful FOWLR + Xenia tank that looks gorgeous!

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth! I paid $25 for GSP before I knew anything! Now I give it away or trade for other easy softies. Ive given away so much xenia I cant even tell you... Made a new friend out of it though and now he has a beautiful FOWLR + Xenia tank that looks gorgeous!
Next time u need to trim ur xenia send some my way. I live in Dallas and not many lfs carry it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back