Throwing coral away....say it isn't so!

Have you ever had to throw away coral clippings? Read the thread for more.

• Yes

Votes: 337 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 161 32.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So apparently there comes a time when your coral grows so much that you run out of room and you have to start "cutting it back" just to keep it in check. :p Also it seems that some people actually have to just throw the coral clippings away because there isn't anyone local reefers or stores to give it to! :(

So that leads us to today's poll and question.

Have you ever thrown away coral clippings and how does it make you feel?

Untitled-2.jpg

image via Robert James

Shaummy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...I've done it since even the LFS aren't really looking to take stuff in. Didn't want to..but had to toss some heads of my frogspawn since it was overgrowing everything.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had to throw away less and less over the past few years. It seems there is more hobby interest than ever. I still occasionally throw stuff out, but it's because the pieces were ugly/tiny/stung/etc. In the past I've thrown away square feet of zoas, monti cap, chalices, xenia, etc. etc. I've thrown away plenty of acros too, but it was usually because the piece fell and got stung or shaded or whatever and it just didn't make sense to keep around long enough for someone to come pick it up. I still feel bad throwing it away, but plenty gets destroyed in nature too and I still do my best to grow it, not kill it.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thrown away entire cover filled rocks with boring green brownish palys....tried selling on CL with no interest

I always put in an airtight plastic bag so no one gets sick. Figure it's better than scraping to keep the rock and flushing the palys.... and the water treatment plant has to deal with palytoxin

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thrown away plenty of LPS, and softie clippings. My LFS is a 2 and a 1/2 hour drive, and they won't take anything in on trade. I have no reef club close by, and no one around me is a reefer. There are a few FOWLR tanks around, but they do not want to get into corals.

I've thrown away so many clippings and dead skeletons(when I first started out) in the woods next to my house, in a 1000 years scientists will think this part of upstate NY was once covered in a dense reef. lol

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@homer1475 whereabouts upstate are you? I know a few people out this way that are looking.

@revhtree what about making a special section of the for sale section devoted to coral give away? make it free, and local pickup only? then people can peruse it to see if anyone close is donating anything interesting?

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree what about making a special section of the for sale section devoted to coral give away? make it free, and local pickup only? then people can peruse it to see if anyone close is donating anything interesting?
That's a great idea!

gtrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just had to clip my birdnest from running into my monti-cap. just dropped the piece on sand-bed thinking maybe it'll find a new home and grow.
It's looking like i'm going to have to trim my ff red robin stag from growing into my wwc yellow-tip in the next couple weeks.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I have thrown out a lot over the years. I used to try to sell stuff... but then only to get either scammed by someone who turned around....fragged the piece and then resold it for stupid prices.... or in a couple of cases... offered to sell it to someone... but then the person demanded "free shipping".... I kid you not. I have even stopped giving stuff away...again. I saw some pieces being resold. I had one guy ask me to drive an hour to "drop off the corals to him and place it in his tank"....otherwise he didnt want it. Again.... I kid you not.

Perhaps as you get your new marketplace running here on R2R... we will have the opportunity to trade and sell amongst ourselves a bit more / better. I hate throwing stuff away....

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't very often. So far, my LFS has been happy to take a few "extras" off my hands - for instance the birdsnest that wouldn't fit in a 5g bucket, a huge hollywood stunner, etc etc. He always gives me a reasonable amount of store credit for them so win-win!

Smaller frags (2-4" mini colonies, actually) go to any local reefer for $5-$15 depending on what it is. I also toss in "freebies" whenever I can just to make room in the FT.

I agree that a sub-forum for freebies is a GREAT idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back