Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capture.PNG

Click HERE To Learn How We Aquascape

Recently a whole new way to Aquascape has been taking this hobby by storm. We discovered a very easy way to build your dream Aquascape using three items... SUPERGLUE, SAND and LIVE ROCK.
We are blown away at how simple it is to create a wonderful reef structure for your home aquariums. The speed in which this process bonds the rock together is astonishing. Literally, after 5 seconds of cure time, the entire structure is solid as, well a rock. We found that using Marco Rocks Live Rock @Marco67 and @Glue Masters Thin Super Glue was hands down the best option for what we needed.

We invite everyone to share your beautiful Aquascape for all to see.

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i used for mine...I was really impressed with how strong those joints are. I actually broke a piece of shelf rock but the glue/sand joint was still holding and that was maybe a minute after I had glued the joint. I’ll work on getting some better pictures of my scape and I’ll post one up here as well.

Thanks for the video...yours was my first time seeing this method.

Glue Masters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on! That is exactly why we are bringing strong formula in large containers, which is so different from regular ca industry. One thing to keep in mind, do it in a well ventilated environment, wear mask and gloves.

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty similar to a technique I've seen in woodworking, and especially in fishing lure making, ironically. You use a mix of thin cyanoacrylate glue and baking soda to make a very solid filler for any gaps you have. Saw dust can be used instead to match color.

The first time I saw the aquascaping video was actually the next video after watching a lure maker (making a praying mantis lure) using that technique- made me do a double take for sure!

OP
OP
Tidal Gardens

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @Glue Masters said for ventilation. We set up fans blowing away from us to disperse the fumes. We plan on building another one of our tanks aquascape this week or next week. We will have some photos to share!

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tried this with live rock? My rock is all live and I would want to do it with that. Taking out briefly should not hurt it, but wanted to know if you have tried that. Thanks.
I'm sure it works fine. Before applying I imagine you would want to take a good firm brush to the joints you are going to glue to remove all the algae etc.

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @Glue Masters said for ventilation. We set up fans blowing away from us to disperse the fumes. We plan on building another one of our tanks aquascape this week or next week. We will have some photos to share!
Definitely need ventilation when doing this. I wore nitrile medical gloves and there were a couple times done glue and sand got on there and it definitely got HOT! Just be careful where your fingers are while doing this.
E4A6D016-53F5-4462-8956-2581C8EEA94C.jpeg

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the continued education (enjoyed your photo tips video as well). Wish I had seen this a couple months ago. I used a thicker superglue, without the substrate and it was more difficult (have to find those contact points perfectly or it doesn't stick).

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4751.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast does this set?
Is it ok if the rock is wet and just pulled out of the water?
What kind of sand/how big grain is best to use?
I am looking to order some and create a structure out of my pile of live rock.

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast does this set?
Is it ok if the rock is wet and just pulled out of the water?
What kind of sand/how big grain is best to use?
I am looking to order some and create a structure out of my pile of live rock.
I used the powder created by breaking up some dry rock with hammer and chisel. I used bigger pieces to fill gaps the tossed the sand/power in the joint. Drip the thin glue on and it sets in probably 10 seconds. The thin glue penetrates really easy.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Saluki2003

I’ve built a few larger rock scapes for local club guys in the past but for me it was a waste of time. Way more time consuming than what I anticipated. Probably ended up only making $10/hr.

if you love doing it though and have the free time I could definitely see it being a fun artistic outlet.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back