Tide pod challenge

Elmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago I believe one of my 4 year olds put soap in our 120 tank, nothing died yet but my bubble tip nem looks crazy
20180205_172028.jpg
IMG_20180205_205505_129.jpg

OP
OP
Elmer

Elmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 50% water change the first night it happened then the next day I drove 2 hrs to the lfs bought more salt, came home test my water then waited another day and did a 25% water change.. scooped all the suds out for hours when I noticed it

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I would have thought that would have been the end to the tank. Great job not having everything die.

Yeah some absorbing media wouldn't be a bad idea.

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something like this happen in the past. My twin nephews thought it would be a great idea to spray frebreeze in the air around my tank... like, an entire bottle. I had a full crash and had to empty everything out and start from scratch.

Edit: Super happy that you were able to save your tank! Seriously, cleaning products in a tank is officially my worst nightmare. Glad everything turned out so well!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! Great save! That's pretty incredible, do you know what kind of soap they put in?

Denniswbliss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you and me are very different in a lot of ways. First is your calm and all nice about it. I would be f this f that f f f f f. I didn't read what you did to your 2 year old after this happen. I would have left the house afraid what I would have done to one of my boys. But by saying that I never let them have the opportunity to have access in or around my sump when they were baby's. I had that s#@t on lock down. I commend you for having Patients and not freaking out like I would have. Your great parents and I'm so happy nothing bad happen to your tank. Thank you so much for sharing.

Bill Bolton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids are FUN!!!!
When she was just about a year or so old, my oldest daughter thought it would be lucky to toss pennies in my sump. This was a 40 gallon reef, with the only time I ever bought a complete and total C.U.C. package. Dozens of crabs, snails, sea cuc..... many, many corals..... dead. It must have been a few days that the pennies were in there, but inverts do not handle copper well AT ALL!!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids are FUN!!!!
When she was just about a year or so old, my oldest daughter thought it would be lucky to toss pennies in my sump. This was a 40 gallon reef, with the only time I ever bought a complete and total C.U.C. package. Dozens of crabs, snails, sea cuc..... many, many corals..... dead. It must have been a few days that the pennies were in there, but inverts do not handle copper well AT ALL!!
Might have been the zinc. A penny is only 2.5% copper. 97.5 zinc.
Good tank save OP.
If you guys have kids. Lock up your sump area. Soap is nothing compared to a drowning. It only takes 2 inches of water to drown.

Back